SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals my name is John, and I'm a recent convert. A little background on me. I have roderaced and done quite a few trackdays, I'm not the fastest or slowest out there...usually. I own www.scracecenter.com and sell Bridgestone race tires for a living.

I rode a friends CRF450 tard at a trackday and now I am smitten. I guess my question lies in the fact that I am a pretty big guy 6'4" - #220. The CRF450 had a BB kit 470cc I think and it felt like more than enough power, but will a larger bore KTM SMR be a better fit for me? I know the KTM's are generally heavier so the extra cc's are somewhat a waste. I guess I am just looking for opinions between these:

05-06 - KTM 525 SMR
05-06 - KTM 560 SMR
05-06 - CRF450r

The KTM's I have been looking at are pretty much stock, the CRF I have my eye on has a nice list of "extras" i.e. good brakes, nice wheels. Just really looking for some feedback from people that have maybe ridden both.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
What kind of track days will you do? SM track? Or roadrace track? If you are going to the SM track, I would recommend the KTM 450 SMR. I weight 220# and the 450 is more than fast enough and easier to ride than the big bore bikes. However the 525 and 560 are both excellent bikes. The KTM SMR bikes are excellent and have huge amounts of parts available right out of the KTM hard parts catalog.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, I'll be ridding roadracing tracks with it. We have a couple of really tight, short tracks that lend themselves well to a motard. It will not be my only bike, but I liked the CRF450 that I rode, I just didn't know how the KTM would stack up against the CRF.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts