SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So with the street bike out of the question for obvious reasons thanks to you enthusiastic mofo's :thumbup:

I have come to the ultimate conclusion on two Sm's

06-12 Drz400sm 07-affordable Ktm690sm :hmmm:

So I guess for the third time I'm just going to ask for which is the better option for someone in Florida, no real "twisties" (don't mind forcing it), quite a bit of highways, occasional 2up (2-3 wkly), and superficial/exhaust mods to come. Anyone who has ridden both please for the love of gasoline respond with your opinion!

This will basically do it for me about the questions, and I'll ultimately decide this week. Next post will be pictures of the bike :clap:

Ktm690sm $5,500
Drz400sm $4,000-$5,000

·
Registered
289 Posts
690 SMC yes, but DRZ if its a 690 SM. No offence to those that own one, but I'm not fan of the styling on the 690 SM.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
690 SMC yes, but DRZ if its a 690 SM. No offence to those that own one, but I'm not fan of the styling on the 690 SM.
Yea a lot of people aren't too crazy about the spy vs spy thing going on with it, but I don't mind because that can be changed pretty easily. Besides the styling........what stands out from the 690smc compared to the sm, I remember reading somehwere it's not just the looks, but I might be getting some previous information confused. :headscrat

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First is your main concern affordable, from my experance everything KTM is pricy... just saying... Good luck hope to see pics soon.
I guess I kinda wrote this wrong, I can get both these bikes off craigslist and there are a couple of Drz's out there, but only one 690sm that I have found......I'm killing myself looking for a guy selling a smc though! Pricing for both isn't too crazy........... $4,000-$5,000 for the Drz's............5$5,500 for a 07 690sm

·
Registered
96 Posts
Owning a DRZ, and having worked at a KTM dealer and my friend has a 690, its a tough choice... The KTM is a nicer bike overall, but I know how much parts cost... The dr wins in that category.. I also like the simple style of the drz. Anyway, if I had to choose simply based on better "ride" I would say KTM. Its got some pretty neat features factory, reliable as hell, little bigger motor for the highways and such... since youre in florida.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
KTM - The 650 vs the 400 is a no brainer for me

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
So I guess for the third time I'm just going to ask for which is the better option for someone in Florida, no real "twisties" (don't mind forcing it), quite a bit of highways, occasional 2up (2-3 wkly), and superficial/exhaust mods to come.
I would probably be looking at something other than a motard if doing a lot of highway riding. They are the suck on the highway, nothing fun about it even on big bore tards. Just my personal opinion, YMMV.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Owning a DRZ, and having worked at a KTM dealer and my friend has a 690, its a tough choice... The KTM is a nicer bike overall, but I know how much parts cost... The dr wins in that category.. I also like the simple style of the drz. Anyway, if I had to choose simply based on better "ride" I would say KTM. Its got some pretty neat features factory, reliable as hell, little bigger motor for the highways and such... since youre in florida.
The subject being parts, how much more expensive are ktm parts compared to the drz parts, or is it something of a couple bucks or significantly more ($100-$200 difference)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would probably be looking at something other than a motard if doing a lot of highway riding. They are the suck on the highway, nothing fun about it even on big bore tards. Just my personal opinion, YMMV.
What is something you would suggest that would be up to par with the highway, but steering away from the super sports?

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
What is something you would suggest that would be up to par with the highway, but steering away from the super sports?
Maybe a mega tard like the KTM 950sm, or a hyper motard.

I've never ridden a 690 but I sure as shit know I wouldn't want to ride 2 up on my dizzer.
2 up on the dizzer is awesome with the right mods actually, most fun 2 up riding I've done yet was on the dizzer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The subject being parts, how much more expensive are ktm parts compared to the drz parts, or is it something of a couple bucks or significantly more ($100-$200 difference)
Exhaust and stuff like that is always more. Like a hundred bucks. For some reason, even if its made by the same company, the KTM parts always are more. Not like, "why did I buy this bike!!" more, but "this in inconvenient"... Even handle bars are more. But they are big bars from the factory, not 7/8

1 - 16 of 16 Posts