SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I went and looked at a DRZ400sm 05 model with 19k miles :) .. Dudes asking 2950 for the bike it seems to have nothing wrong with it besides a slight jolt in first gear .. Now idk how much I should be concerned with that slight jolt but im thinking that first gear may have a broken tooth in it :headscrat , I know the friendly people on this site could help me with my decision on wether to go through with it and make him an offer .. If the tooth is broken I am wondering if I will have to split the case to fix the issue or if I can just take off the sideplate of the engine and be able to address it .. Any info is appreciated and Im not 100 % sure that the tooth is the casue of the jolt but it seems to make sense .. If anyone could lead me in the right direction on what I should offer him and how much it may cost to fix the problem it would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
So today I went and looked at a DRZ400sm 05 model with 19k miles :) .. Dudes asking 2950 for the bike it seems to have nothing wrong with it besides a slight jolt in first gear .. Now idk how much I should be concerned with that slight jolt but im thinking that first gear may have a broken tooth in it :headscrat , I know the friendly people on this site could help me with my decision on wether to go through with it and make him an offer .. If the tooth is broken I am wondering if I will have to split the case to fix the issue or if I can just take off the sideplate of the engine and be able to address it .. Any info is appreciated and Im not 100 % sure that the tooth is the casue of the jolt but it seems to make sense .. If anyone could lead me in the right direction on what I should offer him and how much it may cost to fix the problem it would be greatly appreciated :D
What do you mean by "slight jolt"? Is the chain slipping on the sprockets? Is the clutch slipping? Is it full of oil? And as far as fixing a transmission problem with a gear cog you would definantly have to remove the engine, split the cases

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am not a mechanic but that sounds like it could be the transmission. You might be better off just looking at another DRZ, there are a lot out there in that price range with no problems. :hmmm:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am not a mechanic but that sounds like it could be the transmission. You might be better off just looking at another DRZ, there are a lot out there in that price range with no problems. :hmmm:
and less miles, they are 'bullet proof' but you have no idea how that thing was maintained for the last 20k

·
Registered
197 Posts
Maybe you should explain this "slight jolt" better. It could be as complicated as tranny issues, or as simple as a clutch adjustment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
are you brand new to bikes? almost every bike has a light bump into 1st gear, its a good clunk sound, however it shouldn't move the bike forward as if the clutch wasn't in.

edit: if a tooth was missing, then it would have alot more problems, I see this as a normal thing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If one of the cog's in the 1st gear pair had a missing gear tooth (not a missing dog) you would feel and hear a nasty clunk while riding in first gear every time the missing tooth came around. Maybe the clutch drum or clutch center or both have grooves worn into them and the clutch isn't fully disengaging...more than likely it's normal. My DR 650 lets out a good clunk going into first from a stand still if you pussy foot it.

This is what a missing tooth might sound like. I'm sure it's much louder than a motorcycle would be...just to give you an idea of what kind of noise to listen for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v5DdNCtuBI

Tech23

1 - 7 of 7 Posts