SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I went and looked at a DRZ400sm 05 model with 19k miles :) .. Dudes asking 2950 for the bike it seems to have nothing wrong with it besides a slight jolt in first gear .. Now idk how much I should be concerned with that slight jolt but im thinking that first gear may have a broken tooth in it :headscrat , I know the friendly people on this site could help me with my decision on wether to go through with it and make him an offer .. If the tooth is broken I am wondering if I will have to split the case to fix the issue or if I can just take the plate off the sideplate off the engine and be able to address it .. Any info is appreciated and Im not 100 % sure that the tooth is the casue of the jolt but it seems to make sense .. If anyone could lead me in the right direction on what I should offer him and how much it may cost to fix the problem it would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you are mechanical smart it is repairable but the motor has to be removed & the cases split !! Major fix it! Price is too high! I wouldn't pay over $2200 for it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just had to get the DR650 I bought on this site repaired. The transmission was fucked (2nd, 3rd and 4th). It cost me a little over 1700 to get it fixed.
I got fucked HARD on the bike. I don't recommend you buying that bike unless you get it cheap enough to offset the cost of the repairs. You're probably looking at 800-900 in labor MINIMUM + the parts (gears, seals.. all that shit)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Before you go all OMG its broke id be damn sure first. And from your deffinition "jolt" it makes me think the gears are fine. can you elaborate more? does it "click" when driving in first? or is it more of a surge when driving? if so thats relatively normal on thumpers in the lower gear. If its "jolting" into first from neutral thats semi normal as well.

You need to explain more before going on wild claims of catastrophic failures, especially on a bike known to be bulletproof!.

and take what people say on this site with a grain of salt, there are a lot of "the sky is falling" going on in this thread right now. but they are right anything in the trans requires spliting the case IF theres anything wrong.

z

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you can do your own repairs the tranny parts (used) are always available on Ebay & A LOT cheaper then thru a dealer! In fact I have 1 out of a 06 E model for $200.00 even but check Ebay cause you may find cheapr.

·
Registered
466 Posts
1700...wow you did get f-ed but it was not by the previous owner, it was by whoever did that repair! You could buy a whole new engine for that price...with mods to it! And all these bikes are easy to work on. Just get a shop manual and have some patience.

Anyway like others said if someone is just saying its too much or not worth it and that's all they say that usually means they have no clue.

A jolt when pulling out could simple be that he has a big rear sprocket and light weight flywheel making it want to go balls out right out of the gate with very little throttle.

Usually tranny issues are slipping out of gear under hard acceleration, grinding when shifting (this could be clutch related though) for example. Most times the tranny is fine it something else. I would buy it and work on it if it needs it.

As for price to pay...that's all up to you!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
$2900 for an '05 with almost 20k is a little high.
Not terrible, just a little.
I would offer $2k and see if you can get it for 22-25.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Way to be a lowballing douche.
Way to be a plain old douche. My brother just picked up an 05 for 2200.

2900 sounds a bit high. You need to describe this "jolt". From what you said, it doesn't sound like a tranny problem, maybe clutch adjustment, or throttle adjustment....

·
Registered
157 Posts
So today I went and looked at a DRZ400sm 05 model with 19k miles :) .. Dudes asking 2950 for the bike it seems to have nothing wrong with it besides a slight jolt in first gear .. Now idk how much I should be concerned with that slight jolt but im thinking that first gear may have a broken tooth in it :headscrat , I know the friendly people on this site could help me with my decision on wether to go through with it and make him an offer .. If the tooth is broken I am wondering if I will have to split the case to fix the issue or if I can just take the plate off the sideplate off the engine and be able to address it .. Any info is appreciated and Im not 100 % sure that the tooth is the casue of the jolt but it seems to make sense .. If anyone could lead me in the right direction on what I should offer him and how much it may cost to fix the problem it would be greatly appreciated :D
was that the one in winston salem?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Way to be a lowballing douche.
ahhh, name calling on the intardweb.... that's hardcore!

Different locals mean different prices. 20k on the clock and a cruddy gearbox is a $1200 drz around here... no clunks and 20k is around 1800. Make sure you flush.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts