SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pretty disappointed. It looks like KTM is trying to save some money on the 13 Duke. Obviously everyone has seen pictures, but I'll give you my in person impressions.

1.I think KTM has switched parts vendors for their plastics. The front fender over the wheel was a real piece of shit, I couldn't believe it. Flash was actually visible around the edges.

2.Many people complain about the seat on the Duke, but the new one does not allow you to change your riding position at all. You are stuck in one place. It is really soft foam too. This might be one of the biggest problems. I am always shifting around on the seat when I ride, and this seat doesnt allow you to

3. They have ditched the awesome projector headlights for a big regular headlight, seems like a step backwards, doesn't it?

4. Not digging the high-gloss black wheels.

Probably still the same performer underneath, but I'll take the previous model.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I went to the show yesterday and came off with the same impression. The quality of materials is a lot cheaper and it is evident in the price. The previous models were almost $11k, this one is somewhere around $8.5k. Not digging the styling either. Tank looks like it's off a sportbike.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm heading to the Chicago show in a few weeks and I was looking forward to checking it out there.

Yup, it does indeed sound like they cut some corners to get the price down. But if it's still the same 690 engine, I think the new price is a good deal. They probably felt like they had to get the price down because the 690 single was getting up near the cost of 600 supersports. I wonder how it's handling compares the the previous duke.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm pretty sure that was part of the deal, bringing the price way down to what someone shopping for a smaller displacement bike (or a single) is looking for, and more comparable in cost to the other 600cc - 800cc displacement class bikes in price (like the Ninja 650 for example). All while keeping the performance intact (actually power went up as well as sophistication of electronics and engine management) so things like details, and the suspension got cheaper quality. We'd be looking at a bike comparable in price to a 600 supersport probably if it was an improvement in every way to the previous Duke. It would be a very niche market and hard sell at that price IMO. At $8 - $9K it seems like a reasonable price level for a fun, reasonably good performing, lightweight do-it-all bike, made by a performance Euro brand with high reputation. Thus able to ask more than the competitors small displacement lightweight bikes, but not quite so much as a full 600cc supersport with all the power and raciness .

The Duke really has no direct competition, so its probably hard enough to get prospective buyers as it is being in a class all its own. Only die hard KTM fans or Single cylinder fans would I think realistically consider the Duke if it was $11K, I think they have no choice but to cut corners to make it a viable selling product in their line up.

Here in the States not too many people bought into the whole 690 line at all, save for maybe the Enduro/Adventure crowd that wanted highway capable lightweight off road bikes.

I think if the SMC & Enduro end up getting the same new electronics and dual plug heads as the Duke expect the price to go way up or other corners to be cut.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I bought the Duke because I wanted a lightweight, upright bike with quality everything. I expected to pay more and did. What they are doing with the new ones is contrary to what I like about the Duke. Buy a new crank setup for the Duke 3's, remap and you've got a superior bike to the 4's. Except for abs. Is it true they even ditched the Marchesini wheels? They sure stepped on their dicks with the styling changes, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2010 Duke, there are some things I was less than impressed with. Like the seat, as slippery and hard as it is, I really don't like the bucket they put on the 2013 I to like to move around. However, it's difficult to stay planted. I thought the projector headlights were a little ugly, but actually work quite well. I really like to ride it because it does so many things well. I questioned putting ABS on a bike like this. Is it true they took the Compression and Damping away from the suspension. WOW what a shame!

·
Registered
929 Posts
IMO the Duke3 was a semi-moto - you could play at being a sumo and have mad fun, so long as you didn't get too serious like trying to jump stuff.

The 2013 is just a single-cylinder street bike :( I think they messed the Duke up. My next bike will be a proper SM... maybe an HM :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
pics? sounds like the Duke that ive been seeing in pics for the last year or so. did it also have a standard style exhaust like a sportbike too?
like this?

·
Registered
929 Posts
sarcasm? :headscrat
No. Depends how I'm feeling... I love how light the Duke is and no doubt proper SMs are the same. BUT... I'd like a bit more power for the long straights and I may get into touring a bit more, so I might want an HM although the bike's weight is going to be the first thing I look at... 200kg for the 990SM? Too heavy... maybe.

But my next bike won't be a 2013 Duke. Too short, not enough travel, too much like a sports bike. And I like at least 2 cylinders for them...

·
Registered
399 Posts
\

But my next bike won't be a 2013 Duke. Too short, not enough travel, too much like a sports bike. And I like at least 2 cylinders for them...
pretty much why i didnt want the duke 3/690. i thought i did for a while until i sat on one. it felt too much like a naked standard like an SV. i knew if thats what it felt like then thats how i would expect it to perform...and it just never would. i wanted a tard but didnt want to give up the fuel capacity which is how i ended up with the SM.

·
Registered
191 Posts
pics? sounds like the Duke that ive been seeing in pics for the last year or so. did it also have a standard style exhaust like a sportbike too?
like this?
I think the 2013 Duke was based on the look and attitude of the 690 Stunt concept bike:

This bike got soooo many positive comments and people saying they'd buy it if it was ever launched (Me included!). The Stunt Concept is awesome! Those crash bars, the single sided swinger, the beefy sump guard, the chopped fender, the under-seat tank, the stealthy forged black wheels....I can't actually see a single element of the bike I don't love! THAT'S WHAT THE KTM SMALL STREET BIKE SHOULD HAVE LOOKED LIKE!

I know it needs a headlight, brake light and indicators but these could have been incorporated with out diluting the design concept.

The design of the 2013 Duke just seems to have been tamed and 'made safe' but in doing so has missed the mark. D-

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pretty much why i didnt want the duke 3/690. i thought i did for a while until i sat on one. it felt too much like a naked standard like an SV. i knew if thats what it felt like then thats how i would expect it to perform...and it just never would. i wanted a tard but didnt want to give up the fuel capacity which is how i ended up with the SM.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Duke and SM, like, -exactly- the same? Whats different besides the exhaust?

·
Registered
814 Posts
SM has more suspension travel and WAY more ground clearance, and can actually take a jump. Try that on the duke and you immediately mash the underbody exhaust.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Duke and SM, like, -exactly- the same? Whats different besides the exhaust?
SM has more suspension travel and WAY more ground clearance, and can actually take a jump. Try that on the duke and you immediately mash the underbody exhaust.
ya. what he said.
duke has essentially street/sport suspension travel, the SM has more but i dont think as much as the SMC. the SM is literally right in between the 2. if a SMC and a Duke had a child it would be the SM

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yup.

Duke 5.3" - Avoid all jumps!

SM 8.3" - Take some little jumps.

SMC 9.8" - Catch healthy air!

IMHO, an SMC is wasted unless you are catching air. Still not up to current MX travel, usually 12" or more.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yup.

Duke 5.3" - Avoid all jumps!

SM 8.3" - Take some little jumps.

SMC 9.8" - Catch healthy air!

IMHO, an SMC is wasted unless you are catching air. Still not up to current MX travel, usually 12" or more.
Do curbs and speed bumps count as jumps? :D

·
Registered
929 Posts
A heap more travel than the TL :) so much smoother on the shitty roads here, can keep it close to the speed limits most of the time and the bike is light.

Didn't know the SM and SMC were so different :eek: won't be doing jumps or off-roads (cos there's nowhere to do that :( ) so the underbelly exhaust is safe...

... also didn't want a full-on SuMo cos I'm old and fat and would have looked like a tard riding one :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
A heap more travel than the TL :) so much smoother on the shitty roads here, can keep it close to the speed limits most of the time and the bike is light.

Didn't know the SM and SMC were so different :eek: won't be doing jumps or off-roads (cos there's nowhere to do that :( ) so the underbelly exhaust is safe...

... also didn't want a full-on SuMo cos I'm old and fat and would have looked like a tard riding one :D
the SM weighs a few more pounds than the SMC ( i think most of it is in the exhaust) but it gets the 3+ gallon tank that the duke has which was really a selling point for me. i feel that the SM is still just as flickable as an SMC and the longer travel sucks up the bumps here in new england pretty well, and it still wheelies in 2nd with just a twist of the right grip

1 - 20 of 37 Posts