SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I had a thread asking for suggestions on what to do to my (at that time) newly acquired bike, a 2008 SM610. A few people said to ditch the smog can so I made a little video of how I did it. I am not a mechanic, but do like to do my own work, so let me know if I messed anything up! hope this helps anyone who is planning on doing it, if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them. :bike:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Alrighty then - I reused the small clamp for the vacuum plug - more secure, and I used a pair of long nosed needle nose pliers to to install the plug and clamp - much easier than standard pliers.

On the fuel vent hose I removed the hose from the gas tank and replaced it with a short hose with a one-way valve for a dirt bike gas tank - the tank will vent but it won't spill out gas. Since the hose is hidden in front of the tank, it has a clean look.

With your open fuel vent hose you could get dust up in there and into your gas tank - unlikley, but possible.

All in all your video will help someone with their smog cannister. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alrighty then - I reused the small clamp for the vacuum plug - more secure, and I used a pair of long nosed needle nose pliers to to install the plug and clamp - much easier than standard pliers.

On the fuel vent hose I removed the hose from the gas tank and replaced it with a short hose with a one-way valve for a dirt bike gas tank - the tank will vent but it won't spill out gas. Since the hose is hidden in front of the tank, it has a clean look.

With your open fuel vent hose you could get dust up in there and into your gas tank - unlikley, but possible.

All in all your video will help someone with their smog cannister. :thumbup:
Thanks for the response, I like your small hose/valve combo. I think ill have to go with it!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Thanks for the response, I like your small hose/valve combo. I think ill have to go with it!
I bought a black valve to make it blend in with the hose - but they come in a lot of colors.

On a side note - has your SM610ie had the power up kit installed yet? If not, get the Lambda Sensor plug and the resister for around $50 and at least a slip-on muffler like a Leo Vince and your bike will feel a big power gain and not have the annoying pops and sputters. If you do both, you will have to lower your idle a bit - you can access the bolt on the right side behind your air cleaner box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a black valve to make it blend in with the hose - but they come in a lot of colors.

On a side note - has your SM610ie had the power up kit installed yet? If not, get the Lambda Sensor plug and the resister for around $50 and at least a slip-on muffler like a Leo Vince and your bike will feel a big power gain and not have the annoying pops and sputters. If you do both, you will have to lower your idle a bit - you can access the bolt on the right side behind your air cleaner box.
Next paycheck I think I am going to invest in a slip on and the kit, do you have a link to the power up kit?

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts