SuperMoto Junkie banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
wow, i need to check the folder more often. I like the exc look, but is it any brighter? My gsxr had a great headlight, but the ktm...not so much, it really slows me down at night:headshake

·
Registered
542 Posts
where's "sniff"? c'mon sniff tell us, how's that light working for you?
:thumbup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi
wery cool

Could you send more pics. Maybe of the speedometer, cause i would realy like to change my Squer headlight.

I have SM 640 lc4 prestige 2003 and the only thing that is buging me is the headlight. And i just need more info and would be thankeful if you could send more close ups pics.

Did you try the H4 bulb?

Thenx

working on the finishing touchs(routing of brake line) and we'll be good to go! :thumbup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
close-up's we can get for you. that's easy!!!! when you see how this was done you'll be able to switch back and forth from stock unit to exc in about two(2) minutes!!!!! will post close-up's soon, thanx for asking hope it helps out.:thumbup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice looking bike and job well done Injunman! :thumbup::D

I've just replaced my original light/headlight mask on my 640 with a new EXC one aong with a new Acewell computer. My mate also made up some nice little indi brackets that bolt on to the handguard brackets which I think look sweet. I never really liked the original front end on the 640 as I thought it looked a bit bulky and stuck out too far over the front mud guard. My mate did the work and has done it in such a way that I can always convert back if I ever want to sell the bike etc... not that I will!

BEFORE...

AFTER...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Mr Walloon. :thumbup::D
Decided on a acewell computer in the end... The fact that they were advertising their computers by displaying them in a fishtank with real live water, fish etc kind of did it for me. :thumbup: I needed something REALLY waterproof as I do live in England :lol:

Hope the bike's going well buddy and you take care.

nJ

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thx for reply

I gues il wait alitle.

And hobbit-boy i want mine to look someting like yours but i think il experiment alitle also ill try to only sweep the mask and do some modifications. Well ill see more when i have stuf in my hends.

Thx for pics i needed to see haw much space was for the speedometer.

Haw much was the whole black Kit?

Thx again for Replys

close-up's we can get for you. that's easy!!!! when you see how this was done you'll be able to switch back and forth from stock unit to exc in about two(2) minutes!!!!! will post close-up's soon, thanx for asking hope it helps out.:thumbup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey DemBem... cheers for that link by the way. The black kit cost about £40 and the computer about £45. My mate did all the work on it as I'm "mechanicaly challenged" and it took him a while but well worth it. Definately post some pics up once you've done yours. They'd be good to see!
take it easy, nJ

·
Registered
41 Posts
Man it sucks not to have my one garage

Oh well here are some pics of my testing the stock 35W bulb and H4 bulb.

The problem is as i read on the site that i posted the link that the bulb gets to hot and melts the reflector.

"Our adapter is injection molded using high temperature Zytel so that it will withstand the high operating temperatures of halogen bulbs. It is well known that installing an H4 into a stock KTM headlight will melt the reflector. This is because to get the H4 focused properly you have to insert it directly into the headlight with the base of the bulb in contact with the reflector. The geometry of the H7 allows us to isolate the bulb from the reflector via the high temp Zytel adapter ensuring that only a minimal amount of heat reaches the reflector."

So i guess the metal on the bulb gets to hot and melts the reflector.

I could install the bulb with no much of a problem and it has the same beam of light as the 35 so it got the right distance inside, but its touching the reflector so it would melt it so guess ill have to find a peace that can take that temperature and dosent get to hot to melt the reflector.

Dont have a strong adapter as the accumulator, so couldnt test haw hot it really gets.

Wish the freaking bulb didnt have the big metal housing, or KTM could of made a better design.

Oh well will figure something out. I also thought to go make a 3D PRINT but i dont know what temparature it could stand the pauder that is made out of.

1 - Front
2 - H4 bulb
3 - 35W bulb
4 - haw it looks behind (i've cuted alitle on the bottom of the ring so the H4 coul fit in but somting els must be done)

Ok will send more when i find a solution for this.

Ou and did i mention haw much it sucks that i dont have my garage.:D

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I just got my 08 mask/lamp parts today, looks like I'm gonna need to trim the bottom of the mask and relocate the ing switch and indicator lamps to get the fit I want.:headshake
There goes another half a Saturday:infrandom

·
Registered
542 Posts
1chicken,
the ign switch and indicator lamps don't have to be moved, the mask assy will fit, the only thing that i removed was the metal wiring harness holder underneath the the indicator lights, and zip-tied the wiring harness together and leaving the headlight harness out so i could make a adapter for the mask assy. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Adapter?... did you not use the rubber mounting straps?.. I tried with the straps and it wants to be back further than the wiring block and indicators will allow. I popped off all the mounted stuff, and it fit pretty good.. but still wasnt low enough with the stock fender... bottom (where the funny angle is) of the mask needs trimmed. You got any colse-up pics of your setup?

21 - 40 of 99 Posts