SuperMoto Junkie banner
141 - 146 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Whoa, how much do you weigh? I don't think I could use more than half the travel of the stock front end...

I'm not a suspension guy, so I can't recommend a spring. I think I have an 11 on mine and I weigh 130lbs on a good day.
I weigh around 85kg (170 lbs?) in riding gear. But from my experience the 690 smc is a bit different than the smc-r 2012/13 suspensionwise. I will mount my GoPro to film the forks while out riding some day soon, will update here.

Ok il talk to my local suspension tuner and see if he could recommend me a springrate.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've talked to a suspension tuner who has done many WP dirt bike forks for years and is a Racetech rep. He says that you must measure the spring because there is a wide variation in actual spring rate despite what they claim the rate is. Do your various sag and travel measurements carefully and several times to average them, determine whether you need different rate and then measure what you have and what you're putting in. Obviously this is done by the suspension guy with the spring measuring device.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Another important point here is that you don't want to be using anywhere near full travel on this bike if you are not jumping/off roading. 120mm of travel use is normal for roadcourse riding. This bike has what? 200+? Even supermoto sag numbers are extremely soft for road work. Your goals should reflect your style of riding, not necessarily what the bike was designed for.

On another note, the suspension doesn't know or care if it is "in the middle of the stroke". so that should not be a tuning goal either.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
NYST sunday and Monday!!! I can't wait to shred tires there again and see how my softer front end works there. Expecting good things. We are running downtown Sunday, and uptown Monday. Sunday is sold out, but there are a few spots for monday. Don't miss it!!!

I'm booked both days for one on one, but if someone from this list makes it, we could definitely hook up for some laps on my down time.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Holy crap!!! That was the best 2 days I have spent on 2 wheels. NYST is a riders track in BOTH directions. Tons of technical challenges. uphill off camber, downhill off camber, double apexes, decreasing radii, wheelie hill, stoppie hill. I can't get enough of the place. I did hot laps on: SMC, ZX10 (2 up, knee down), Monster EVO, Dodge Magnum (with 4 passengers! lol)

All I can say is that I have my bike dialed about as good as I think I can get it. I had a tiny bit of chatter the first day. I think it was the cool temps, because when the sun came out on day 2, it went away completely. My bike was just wanting to loop over backwards at 80MPH off the jump going uptown and I even got airborn on the brakes going downtown. SICK! Stay tuned for some pics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
now 8 years later, has anyone tried motul Factory Line road and offroad fork oil or putoline hpx r 5w? maybe the oils became better with stiction issues on wp forks seals? i weigh 300lbs and because of the sag, i have to release the pressure in front to get the trail correct when I sit on it. but the sticktion is so bad that the fork shakes forward and backward and not in and out as supposed to. the oil in it is 10 years old I guess.

141 - 146 of 146 Posts