SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is an 08 KTM SMC with a little over 10k miles on it for sale locally. The bike looks beautiful and no signs of abuse. I've never owned a sumo and I am planning on buying this as a daily commuter to and from work, 25miles, summer only. I am not worried about comfortability, I have been on an SMC before and am familiar with its ride. The only concern I have are the miles. I am okay with weekly oil changes, and I am willing to take it to the shop on occasion. How long will the bike last stock?

How many miles can I expect to get out of it before it gets too abused to be worth fixing?

·
Registered
815 Posts
People have ridden around the world on 690's.

Weekly oil changes? you planning on riding 3k miles a week?

The bike will last as long as you want it too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
People have ridden around the world on 690's.

Weekly oil changes? you planning on riding 3k miles a week?

The bike will last as long as you want it too.
Well shit. I'm tired of worrying about it. Going to jump out and buy one. This forum has been a huge help in my decision of which bike to get as well as what to expect while owning one. Thanks guys.

if anyone else has something to add, i'll be watching the forums daily and would love to read anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are hit or miss. Some have lots of problems, some dont. Fuel pumps, rocker arms, soft rims bend easy, etc.
That goes with everything I suppose. I will look and listen for the signs when I go to buy the bike. Would it be a strange if I asked to drain the oil before purchase to check for metal? Should I expect the oil to be 100% metal free?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I wouldn't drain my oil for somebody unless if they paid me up front for a new oil change plus my time to change it.

You shouldn't see anything metallic in the oil. It's okay if it's dark, but it shouldn't be muddy looking or diesel black. It has multiple filters and screens like all ktms, so it does a good job filtering. The magnetic drain plug will have gunk on it, but not any size able chunks of metal.

I know the manual states 3 oil changes, but I'd NEVER go that long. I'd stick with 1500 to 2k at the most. My personal opinion.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have almost 20K on mine. original fuel pump and rockers. only needed one valve adj. since new. my bike sees supermoto duty in the summer and dirt in the winter. so far its been as reliable as my DRZ 400 was.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great to hear. Now its just a question of which I should get.

2008 with 10k miles, Akrapovic exhaust, 2 sets of plastics and various mods
2009 with 1k miles, stock everything for a thousand $ more
or a 2010 enduro-r with 6k miles. Cheapest of the three and I would convert it to smc with the leftover cash.

Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Very easy to put 17's on an enduro, very difficult to put 21/18 set on an smc....if you ever want to do any off pavement stuff.

2010 will have more suspension travel, but small offroad mask/light/dash (from exc's) rather than the larger mask/dash/tach on the smc's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very easy to put 17's on an enduro, very difficult to put 21/18 set on an smc....if you ever want to do any off pavement stuff.

2010 will have more suspension travel, but small offroad mask/light/dash (from exc's) rather than the larger mask/dash/tach on the smc's.
I did not realize the enduro-r did not share the same dash / tach as the smc. Good information. The owner has a set of street wheels I'm waiting for more information on them. Wheels alone cost a lot of cash to buy seperate from the bike. Right now the 2008 is looking like the best for my money.

I own an rm250 for the mx track and I'll probably never put real dirt tires on the 690 but I am craving for some open dirt trails with Distanzia's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts