SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys (and gals?) this is a direct duplication of my post on Thumpertalk. I see that there are quite a few of you with high(ish) milage SM610s and was hoping someone could chime in. I got some good responses from TT but only one person actually rides their bike every day, rain or shine. So, here it goes.

I've almost given into the Husky propaganda being pushed my way (though I admit, I've not been very resilient). I've got a DRZ400SM right now and love the thing. One of my favorite things about the bike is being able to ride it every day, rain or shine, to work, to school, in the mud, for fun, etc. I've read up on the boards and it seems like the 2006/2007 SM610 is pretty solid for a single, but want to know more about its ability to perform as a daily rider. My commute isn't very far so comfort/tank size, etc aren't a big issue. My concern is about the durability of the bike - specifically how the bike will hold up in the rain. I hear the electronics are a bit finiky and I'm worried about leaving the bike in the rain while I'm at school/work. Also, the bike will be stored outside (under a cover) when I stay at my girlfriends house. I've never worried about the DRZ and it has been trouble free for almost 8 months. My buddy has one and we can do all the work on it (together we have the mechanical ability of a half retarded monkey, but we get by...) For sure I'm going to have to pay a bit more attention to a Husky than my DRZ, but I think I can handle it. Sorry for the life story, but thanks in advance for your opinions.
-Garret

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
rain or shine, on road or off.... it dosent matter to my 610.

ive got 6800 on her and i beat the living poo outta her on a regular basis, its like the drz in the maintenance category but the power will make ya giggle.

as far as its dependibility in the the weather, i wouldnt question it. Ive given my bike the ulitmate water test about 25 times just washing it since ive owned it, and its still ok.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rain or shine, on road or off.... it dosent matter to my 610.

ive got 6800 on her and i beat the living poo outta her on a regular basis, its like the drz in the maintenance category but the power will make ya giggle.

as far as its dependibility in the the weather, i wouldnt question it. Ive given my bike the ulitmate water test about 25 times just washing it since ive owned it, and its still ok.
Thats what I like to hear. Thanks!

Anyone else?

·
Registered
590 Posts
9000+ on mine - the only things it's needed so far besides the normal maintenance have been the initial jetting/sparkplug issues, the chain died last month, and now seems to need a timing chain. It's been ridden and left out in the rain many times with zero issues. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one, maybe someone on the board lives nearby and will let you take a blast around the block to truly convince you that you need one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe someone on the board lives nearby and will let you take a blast around the block to truly convince you that you need one.
Actually my ridding buddy has one. He moved up from a DRZ and is lovin' life. I've ridden it and there's no doubt It'll be fun. His, though, is a weekend ride and thought it gets dirty from time to time it gets locked inside after each ride, which mine wont be. I'm gonna borrow his next week for a few days and see how it handles itself in my daily life.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've got 21000km's on mine and it's used for everything!
rain hail and shine!

Just get the cam chain done every 10000k's! :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have used my 610 as a daily commuter for 2 years, 10,000+ miles now (only a 4mi ride to work). It does sleep in a garage but it spends the day in a parking lot.

As far as the bike getting rained on, the speedometer has the most problems. It is a finicky computer. I have noticed that every once in a while the speedo won't work after being in the rain. Of course that speedo sometimes doesn't work after being in my garage. I can usually press the button on the speedo to reset it but once I had to disconnect the battery to reset the speedo. Even if the speedo is giving you fits the bike will still start and run just fine, you just won't know how fast your going. That is the only electrical problem I have had with it. Besides a few that I caused by not keeping the rubber side down.

O.T. This post got me thinking about how much my bike spends in a parking lot. I use the steering lock all the time but maybe I should get a disc lock for it too or something.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Garret,
What did you decide on? I'm trying to decide between the 610 and the DRZ. I don't have the option of riding either one though.

Unless, someone in the detroit MI area would like to let me test ride theres.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I do 750km per week in all weather. Freeway, traffic and twisties. Washed every week. Stored in a garage, parked on the street at work. A little fog in the dash now and then but besides the usual quirky dash operation, no electrical issues at all. Timing chain will need to be done every 10,000km or so, but checking the tensioner is an easy 5 minute job.

Put an aftermarket can and an iridium plug in it and it's a great bike. Not as detuned as the DRZ so a little more maintenance, but you'll appreciate having more mumbo, superior handling and braking and a 6th gear.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was looking at the same two potentials as well, but in the end decided on the husky primarily because it's just more bang for your buck. Bigger displacement, Marzocchi forks, Brembo brakes, etc. For pretty much equal money (on the used market) you're getting a lot more bike.

Garret,
What did you decide on? I'm trying to decide between the 610 and the DRZ. I don't have the option of riding either one though.

Unless, someone in the detroit MI area would like to let me test ride theres.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts