SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me for posting something I'm sure has been covered over and over but here it is...

Been road racing and am new to Supermoto and am bitten hard core... have an 06 450SMR. Not being new to bikes I feel like I'm picking it up fairly quickly and am pushing the bike fairly hard....

Question: Tires... Do I need SM specific tires? Preferred tires? what about 160 road racing slicks? What should I be looking at?

Help! :hmmm:

~MinerB
TriCities Kart Club

·
Registered
271 Posts
Look at the speed rating of the tires. A sumo doesn't go as fast as a roadracing bike so it'll need tires that warm up faster. You will never get a superbike tire warm enough on a sumo to get the best performance out of it.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I use my KTM on road courses, i run a dunlop SM super soft front (125/70/17), and a Dunlop 209 medium rear (160/60/17), I get the medium up to temp no problem. this is the same tire combo as the fellow who wins all the races in my class and he runs crazy stupid lap times (1:47) around infineon which is only 14 seconds from the lap record set by Ben Spies on his yoshi gsxr this year.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Tire pressure: usually anywhere from 22 psi cold to 25 psi cold depending on the tire
Sidewall height: rougher tracks good amount of dirt= taller height I.E. 70 series, All asphalt, smoother tracks ok to use a small height like a 60 or 65.
Rim size : 4.25-4.50" use a 150 or 155 width tire for best bite. Wide Rim 5.00" usually want to run a 165 for best contact patch.
To tube or not to tube: Most race tires are non tube spec. but will work just fine with a tube, Remember a tire with a tube in it heats up faster, the majority of people are still running tubes. Run a lighter tube for less rotating mass.
Compounds: Super soft heats up fast, grips like a gorilla and wears out fast. Soft compounds are good for race day's they heat up less quickly depending on the mix of rubber, but still grip well, Med compounds are best for track day use or budget minded racers looking to get all they can out of a set. There are a few med compound tires that grip exceptionally well and wear well also !!!!!!!!

Just a little blahh blahh blahh, I know you road race as mentioned so thats just what I know about SM tires and setups

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was just at the track on friday talkiing to a tire rep. Motard spec, tires are better. Some even have a different height and how light they are..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tire pressure: usually anywhere from 22 psi cold to 25 psi cold depending on the tire
Sidewall height: rougher tracks good amount of dirt= taller height I.E. 70 series, All asphalt, smoother tracks ok to use a small height like a 60 or 65.
Rim size : 4.25-4.50" use a 150 or 155 width tire for best bite. Wide Rim 5.00" usually want to run a 165 for best contact patch.
To tube or not to tube: Most race tires are non tube spec. but will work just fine with a tube, Remember a tire with a tube in it heats up faster, the majority of people are still running tubes. Run a lighter tube for less rotating mass.
Compounds: Super soft heats up fast, grips like a gorilla and wears out fast. Soft compounds are good for race day's they heat up less quickly depending on the mix of rubber, but still grip well, Med compounds are best for track day use or budget minded racers looking to get all they can out of a set. There are a few med compound tires that grip exceptionally well and wear well also !!!!!!!!

Just a little blahh blahh blahh, I know you road race as mentioned so thats just what I know about SM tires and setups

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
The tire set ups above, are talking SM specific or standard track tires?

·
Registered
21 Posts
+1 on the Metzler k1 Racetec Drift, best supermoto specific slick I have tried.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I work for a auto group that also owns a suzuki motorsports shop so I can order from tucker rocky, western and parts unlimited...

does anyone have any part numbers from any of those that would be a racing slick? Do any of those guys carry top brand slicks?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts