SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some SM racing options here in Northern CA? I know of supermotousa. Does that involve some off road and paved tracks? If not, who does host off road/paved SM racing here? I'm interested in a cheaper alternative to racing AFM (I ride an SV650).

Thanks!

Leon

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
SupermotoUSA all the way!
It does include both dirt and asphalt (about 70-80% asphalt usually). We also have all asphalt or all dirt races every now and again.
Here are a few examples of track you find during the season:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like fun. I have a DRZ125L with KX suspension right now. A brief over view of the rules made me think the DRZ wouldn't be eligible for very many classes if any. So I'm thinking a YZ250f. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Why wouldn't the DRZ be eligible? Just curious. I'm thinking of racing my CRF450 next season in SMUSA. I'm a slow ass beginner so I'll be holding down that last place title

·
Registered
392 Posts
Your DRZ125 is eligible but would be outgunned in Adult Mini against the CRF150Rs, CR85s and CRF230Fs. The Adult Mini class is huge fun and always has full grids so consider a CRF150R or CR85 (or similar). A 250F of 450F will work, too. Just depends on what classes you want to run. While some classes are based on displacement (like AFM) most are open (Open Beginner, Open Novice, Open Intermediate, Unlimited Pro).

Next race is September 20-21 at the Simraceway Kart track at Sonoma. Brok McAllister (who runs SupermotoUSA) sometimes offers rental CRF230Fs if you want to get your feet wet. You could race Adult Mini and the 230 class on one of his bikes so that gives you two heats and two mains on Sunday; plenty of racing. There are often asphalt-only races on Saturdays in addition to Sunday's full Supermoto races. You get plenty of practice and racing in during a SupermotoUSA weekend.

Supermotousa.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your DRZ125 is eligible but would be outgunned in Adult Mini against the CRF150Rs, CR85s and CRF230Fs.

Supermotousa.com
That was kind of my hunch, if the DRZ125 was eligible, it would be for one class and would be not very competitive.

How many classes is a YZ250f eligible for? I noticed a 250 class which would be an open and a main but I'd like to do more than just two races in a day. 4 races (or two classes) would be great.

Also, is there practice on Saturday? Does SMUSA do any kind of testing for licensing like the AFM's NRS?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Saturday is usually for non championship races (i.e. without the dirt).
If I were you, I'd bring the DRZ and run the Open Beginner and Adult Mini class with it to get a feel for it and see what's out there.
Decide what to buy later.

·
Registered
392 Posts
That was kind of my hunch, if the DRZ125 was eligible, it would be for one class and would be not very competitive.

How many classes is a YZ250f eligible for? I noticed a 250 class which would be an open and a main but I'd like to do more than just two races in a day. 4 races (or two classes) would be great.

Also, is there practice on Saturday? Does SMUSA do any kind of testing for licensing like the AFM's NRS?
The 250 is eligible for 250 and all the Open classes including the Vet classes I didn't mention earlier so you could do four or five classes if you wanted. (You would be racing against 450s almost exclusively in the Open classes). Even though SM races are shorter than AFM races distance-wise, its still a workout because you never get a break anywhere on the track. Most people race two or three classes.

Check out the Rent-a-Racer/ program. Its best way to try out SupermotoUSA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a "trackday" at Stockton Kart track a weekend or so ago. It was a great learning experience. I rode 5 different bikes inclucing a CRF450R and CRF230f. No 250R but whatever. My DRZ125l was not enough even for stockton, I was 4th gear wide open over half the track without front brakes. I could have been wider opener longer-er with front brakes :lol:

Really seems the no bullshit, just fucking ride and ride a lot bike would be the CRF230f. Cheap and bomb proof. I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the fast that its a girl bike lol.

Any comments?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Just get a 230 or 150. Alan would probably sell you his 230 bike if you ask nicely.

The smaller bikes will make you a better rider and you will have fun. They are extraordinarily reliable.

A crf150r will stomp most 250's and will easily pass 450's in the corners. Those bikes are AMAZING. Seriously. They are fucking fantastic. But unreliable and extremely high strung (its a 150cc bike that makes 2 stroke type power).

Stockton has the tight doglegs after the lefthand sweeper and then around the hard left. A small bike will be a blast there. My husky 511 is hitting 85+ around the sweeper and doesnt have the brakes to get speed reasonable before that quick change. So I am looking for a crf450 to play on and maybe race next year if I get the hang of it.

Add yourself to the sacramento supermoto facebook group and give a shotout to me (huskylove) and I will hook up with you that way, we got another member out there a weekend or two ago and we all had fun. :thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just get a 230 or 150. Alan would probably sell you his 230 bike if you ask nicely.

The smaller bikes will make you a better rider and you will have fun. They are extraordinarily reliable.
That's why my first decidated track/race bike was an SV650. Learn to carry that corner speed, another reason I am interested in the 230f.

Stockton has the tight doglegs after the lefthand sweeper and then around the hard left. A small bike will be a blast there. My husky 511 is hitting 85+ around the sweeper and doesnt have the brakes to get speed reasonable before that quick change. So I am looking for a crf450 to play on and maybe race next year if I get the hang of it.

Add yourself to the sacramento supermoto facebook group and give a shotout to me (huskylove) and I will hook up with you that way, we got another member out there a weekend or two ago and we all had fun. :thumbup:
I am on Sac Supermoto lol. Leon's the name. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
The 230s are great bike. Not super competitive but as you said bulletproof and a lot of fun.
They are extremely efficient on the dirt though (you will enjoy flat tracking it).

PS: I remember seeing you at Stockton I believe. You were riding along with Bobby, right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 230s are great bike. Not super competitive but as you said bulletproof and a lot of fun.
They are extremely efficient on the dirt though (you will enjoy flat tracking it).

PS: I remember seeing you at Stockton I believe. You were riding along with Bobby, right?
I am also looking for some TT racing to do as well.

I was riding with a guy named Robert, never heard him introduce himself as Bobby....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts