SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

Rode sport and dirt bikes as a "youth", and after something of a hiatus spent the last few years riding a dual sport (F800GS). Last year visiting family in Europe, I got to spend some time on a SMR 510, and fell in love with it.

Due to recent changes in family/car situations, the big 800GS ended up being a bit of overkill so recently bit the bullet and sold her on eBay. About to take delivery on a new SMR 511 - can't wait! Here are some pics that tell the story...

My old ride - great bike, and had a lot of fun with it on and off road. However for the last year I've only done city riding with a backpack (no off road, no side cases, no passengers, and no long highway miles). With a serious cleaning it came out looking remarkably new, considering that it's been dropped in the mud numerous times, ridden through three feet of water, etc. Got a very fair price on eBay which is financing the next bike...

The SMR 510 I rode in Poland last year that got me thinking...

My new SMR 511 I'll pick up tomorrow:

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
First off :welcome: to SMJ. As far as I know, Husky will not be sending any 2011 SMR's to the U.S. this year. We won't see them until 2012. You will be the first person on SMJ with the new style Husky that I have seen:bannana::bannana:

Make sure you post some pics up in the Husky section when you get her.:thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got her!

Thanks Gutzy for the kind welcome!

Picked up this afternoon in St-Jerome and rode back down to Montreal on the highway (about 50 km). Rode as per break-in directives, so not really pushing anything and I tend to take it easy on a new bike anyway. A few first impressions:

- yep, it's a thumper :) fairly heavy vibration at highway speeds, but I suspect this may even out during break-in. My last bike was a parallel twin, and I also remember it feeling pretty buzzy when new and then smoothing out (although it's almost impossible to know if this isn't just from getting used to it). Motor spins up nicely - throttle response with the EFI is pretty crisp.

- nice and LIGHT!!

- still getting my legs on her after switching from a big dual sport, but the handling feels amazing. I think I am going to like this...

- I am 6'2" and the seat height is perfect for me. The seat comfort is fine for me - I ride a pedal bike as well, so any moto is relatively cushy.

- the bike looks better in person than in photos, but I'm not a great photographer and I used my phone camera.

- the auto-lifting side stand is kind of annoying, and I am debating cutting off the pin that prevents it from staying down. Maybe I'll get used to it - I suppose it *is* a safety feature since the bike doesn't actually have a side-stand sensor (on my old bike that was how I turned the motor off).

- it came with passenger foot pegs but I took them off as soon as I got home.

Here she is:

I suppose I could move this from the "new member" forum to the Husky forum...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts