SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, im new to bike riding, and new to this forum got about 1000 miles under my belt on an old Yamaha. The time finally came to purchase a new bike and stop mooching off my friends. I was split between drz400sm and wr250x [where i live, every used bike is overpriced, and beat to hell, and good luck legalizing a offroad bike here] So i got a klx250sf, it was a mean deal $3350 brand new, out the door, compared to $5500 for the wrx, and $6100 for the drz. So, i now own a klx.

Because im new to bike riding, and relatively mechanically retarded, i wanted to start small, just to familiarize myself with the bike. And as a punk ass kid, i will probally drop my bike trying to impress the ladies or something.

So, i was wondering if anybody has any advice on installing sliders [axle, frame, or handlebar] on a klx, im clueless, are they a universal thing i can go to my bike store and get, or do i need specialty things. Or can i attempt to make something. Any help is appreciated
as promised, heres some dancing bananas:bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana:
Thanks
Dr. Morning Wood

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Welcome! As for axle sliders, there are several out there, but the easiest thing to do is use skateboard wheels, and a length of all-thread for each axle to hold them on. Lots of guys do this since it's cheap, and easy to find replacements. For the bars most guys use barkbusters. Whichever brand you want is really just a matter of preference, but I've always liked the Cycra Pro-bends. They make replaceable sliders for these, and I think some other brands, but I can't remember which ones off the top of my head. Frame sliders aren't needed, or are any made that I'm aware of. When, not IF mind you, this thing goes sliding down the road the axle and barkbuster sliders will keep the asphalt off most of the rest of the bike. You might get a touch of rash on the rad shrouds, but nothing serious. And if you break your rear fender replacements run around 20 bones. You can also get peg sliders, or I've seen skateboard wheels used on those as well.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, i just looked at another sf, and came to realize that the rear axle has a pin in it, and the front is solid [no axle hole] any one remove this pin and install skateboard axle sliders?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts