SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like my Pilot Powers when they are pretty much worn out so with that in mind what about streeting some Pilot Slicks??? 950SM, not worried about the cops nailing me for NON-DOT rubber and I never ride wet roads. But I would be concerned about mileage??? Now I do understand longer time to heat up etc, but could you EVER get them up to temp on the street??? Or even close to it?? Fresno this time of year is Smokin Hot, like 111deg today so??? If it could work I think they would look badass. Am I Smokin Crack??? Has anyone else tried this before?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I really like my Pilot Powers when they are pretty much worn out so with that in mind what about streeting some Pilot Slicks??? 950SM, not worried about the cops nailing me for NON-DOT rubber and I never ride wet roads. But I would be concerned about mileage??? Now I do understand longer time to heat up etc, but could you EVER get them up to temp on the street??? Or even close to it?? Fresno this time of year is Smokin Hot, like 111deg today so??? If it could work I think they would look badass. Am I Smokin Crack???

Have you ridden slicks or even race DOT's on the track? Are you familiar with the feeling of them coming up to temp? If so, you would be OK. However, I don't see any reason or advantage for running slicks on the street, unless you had a stack of take off's sitting around that you could use for free. If you are paying for tires, just buy the race comp DOT's. They will last longer and you won't look like a kook. :D

In my experience Michelins are the most heat sensitive tires out there; they work when hot, but if they cool down even a little bit, they can catch you out. I would shy away.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good points and no I've never ridden slicks before. What kind of mileage or should I say lack of would you expect on the street? And as for the kook thing I'm pretty sure that's what most are already thinking anyway.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If you are riding on the street hard enough to need slicks over DOT race tires - stop and go to the track to get that urge out.

DOT race tires should be plenty good for all levels of safe street riding.

Street riding should be fun and if you ride hard enough to need slicks you are probably riding too hard for the street and may end going splat. And we don't want to see that.

If you like slicks for the look or the name - I can't help ya there

I would just hate to see a Junkie go down riding too fast on the street.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Scott,
Damn I think you pretty much summed it up and you're totally correct. Talk about input from the Top Brass. Thank's for stoppin.
crash

Buttonwillow isn't that far away and it's only like a buck and a half. Maybe after it cools off just a bit.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Scott nailed it. I have a slick on my YZ400 SM streetbike and its fun but takes a long time to get to temp. Next set will be DOT Race rubber.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Get some pilot Race or other similar tire... they are as good as slicks and last longer...

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you really want slicks Maxxis do a road legal slick in the UK from what I hear they work great and it is coooooooold here compared to the states.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
hmmm i think im gonna go to the store on the SM oh wait better plug the warmers in for 30 min first hahaha.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Have you ridden slicks or even race DOT's on the track? Are you familiar with the feeling of them coming up to temp? If so, you would be OK. However, I don't see any reason or advantage for running slicks on the street, unless you had a stack of take off's sitting around that you could use for free. If you are paying for tires, just buy the race comp DOT's. They will last longer and you won't look like a kook. :D

In my experience Michelins are the most heat sensitive tires out there; they work when hot, but if they cool down even a little bit, they can catch you out. I would shy away.
+12

I run slicks, but only because I started with 10 pairs of take offs after racing.

Once they're all gone I'll probably run Avon Distanzias.

And get some Pirellis. They typically have a softer carcass than a lot of

brands so they heat up quicker on these light bikes.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmm i think im gonna go to the store on the SM oh wait better plug the warmers in for 30 min first hahaha.
Good one Williams,
It'll be 112 or so deg in Fresno, Cal today, how much are you looking at over there? Any progress on your online store? Be safe come home soon.
Thanks to all for the input, actually what started this first was my OBSESSION/SICKNESS to make my 950 diff from all rest. Scott is correct when he says prolly riding tooo hard on street. Anyone that's ridden a 950 knows what they can do when totally off the leash. In fact I stopped riding with a great group of guy's cuz we were just riding tooo hard. Don't get me wrong there was NO stupid crossing over or stupid passing but 90-110 mph sweepers and two or three of us always challenging for the lead I'd have to say yes. Hypers don't really like KTM's in front of them very much especially after they just dropped 18k on it to make sure they would be the hammer.
So then I saw this Michelin ad in a mag of their slick with it's what looks to be raised white logo looking really diff from all the rest.
And that brings us here.
Great input guy's and I've decided not to be a kook.
crash

1 - 12 of 12 Posts