SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from the steel-braided hose running to the camshaft after a rebuild? i took both of the crankcase covers off to have them welded tight and when I put everything back together i disconnected the hose running from the top of the oilfilter to the top of the camshaft to make sure oil was flowing when the engine was spinning. everything is coated in oil but neither turning the engine by hand nor using the electric motor will get oil to squirt onto the top end.

i removed the lower hose and squirted some lucas oil in there to try and prime the pump to no avail. everything is cleaned, oiled and primed but i can't get any oil to squirt on the top end, which makes me worried to start the bike. argh.

maybe there's cavitation, maybe i can't spin the engine fast enough with my hand or the starter but i can't verify that oil is reaching the top end. the only thing I can think of doing is to wire everything up then removing the top end oil hose and start the engine to see if oil is squirting or not. this is sketchy but since everything is oiled it should be able to idle for a few seconds without causing any problems. i worry more about riding a motorcycle that will seize it's top end on a track.

any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,683 Posts
i couldnt see any harm in dumping some oil on the valve train, install valve cover and fire up the bike just for a second to see if oil flows up that line to the head and shut the motor off. probably will make a mess though....i seriously doubt you can spin that motor by hand fast enough to pressurize that line....

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it shouldnt be a problem, maybe a little messy yes but less messy then a twisted top end that didn't receive any oil. i should have noted in my first post that oil was found in the oil filter chamber, meaning oil was being sucked up through the oil pump and pumped up to at least the oil filter but not yet as far north as the top end was concerned.

Any idea how fast the starter is rotating the engine? I'm wondering if I could spin the engine faster by putting the bike in 6th gear, unbolting the oil line and spinning the rear wheel which in turn will spin the engineand hopefully make oil squirt from the top end hose?

I have the engine removed from the frame so i'd be nice if I could try to get the oil line to squirt without before installing the engine in the frame.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Is there some reason you doubt the oil is pumping through the line? Seems like it would have to pump once the oil pressure comes up.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes, why do you suspect oil will not be flowing. If you reinstall the oil pump and align the shaft from the pump with the notch on the gear/crank, then it should work.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i don't have reason to suspect it's not working properly but I want to have proof it's working before calling it a day and taking the bike to a track. I'm thinking I can install the engine in the frame, install a countershaft sprocket and a chain and put the bike in 6th gear and start spinning the chain to get the oil pump to build pressure.

I worry the starter motor is only spinning the engine at 80 rpms so it's not really building up a lot of pressure. Also, since the bike was in an accident before all this I want to make sure that no oil valleys have been cracked or ruptured.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts