SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am in market for a DRZ400SM. I found this very clean one with all the performance mods done to it; big bore, 3x3, jetted, etc. I called the guy up and talked with him for a bit and asked him a bunch of questions. The guy is a hoonigan. He says the reason he is selling it is because he got caught doing "hoonigan" stuff on the streets and got the bike impounded. Then shorty after that, his buddie took the bike out for a spin and got it impounded for a second time. So he wants to sell it because he is done putting money into the bike and to keep him out of trouble. He said he also was owned 3 drz's in total. He says hes a certified mechanic and did the complete rebuild himself. I also asked him how many owners the bike has had and he does not know. He said he bought the bike from a guy that ran the bike will low oil and ended up blowing some part of the motor, i'm assuming that's why he did a rebuild. So as sketchy of a story he has, I will admit that he does seem like a honest guy he was nice to talk to me and explain everything. Even if the bike has been ridden hard it does look very clean. His story could be sketchy but if I go look at the bike and it's immaculate even though it's had a sketchy background could it still be worth it? This is my first time buying a motorcycle and I am really paranoid of buying a lemon. Any thoughts? Thanks!

The bike:
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/5319612340.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a DRZ for 3 years and I loved the bike once I sorted the jetting on the FCR it was super reliable.

Would I personally buy a bike that has a big bore kit from someone who has told me he basically rips on it constantly. Not likely, however honesty is at times worth something.

I also question the big bore as this thing still has a factory header and carb. I would expect the intake exhaust to be modified to gain the true benefit of the displacement increase.

Just my opinion:

Plenty of fish in the sea so I would pass on this one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a DRZ for 3 years and I loved the bike once I sorted the jetting on the FCR it was super reliable.

Would I personally buy a bike that has a big bore kit from someone who has told me he basically rips on it constantly. Not likely, however honesty is at times worth something.

I also question the big bore as this thing still has a factory header and carb. I would expect the intake exhaust to be modified to gain the true benefit of the displacement increase.

Just my opinion:

Plenty of fish in the sea so I would pass on this one.
Should I play it safe and get something like this then?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5319053766.html

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I'd be more tempted with door number 2. That's me though. Only problem wit h #2 is it looks like it was used as a pick-up truck. Might need a rear shock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Once again you would have to gauge the seller, but it peaks my interest more Than the first one. I am always cautious on the details in a add and always try to look over the machine with a second person who is not emotionally vested in the purchase.

I however at times don't get it quite right, as I recently went with my dad to buy my Versys and he noted a scratch on the fairing. I downplayed it and bought the bike anyways, it ended up being a pretty big deal and cost me a bit of money in front end parts to fix.

All the best in your search.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Door #2 -

1 - 6 of 6 Posts