SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question is in the title, but like it says, should i buy a nice drz400sm as my first bike, or start really cheap and beat the shit out of a ninja 250/500 to learn and be probably a little safer?

i would be spending around 3,500-4,000 on the drz, or less than 1,000-2,000 on the ninja. ( how there priced in my area).

I cant really decide yet because my ultimate goal is the supermoto route, but if i can save up a little more and start cheap i can learn more and buy a better supermoto bike down the line such as a ktm 525 or something similar.

i promise this is my last question...:D

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My first motorcycle was a ninja 250. I wish I had started on a motard. Supermotos are better bikes to learn on as they are lighter, don't have fairings to break, and are easy to manuver so the basic drills and skills are more easily mastered.

A ninja 250 is no safer than a drz400. Get a drz or another supermoto to learn on. Unlike the ninja 250 you won't grow tired of it after a season and you can crash the hell out of them and come out with minimal or no damage.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Get a supermoto, (DRZ) you'll be glad you did. :thumbup: Supermoto's will are easier to learn the basics of riding and will make you an all around better rider.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Hmmm.....:hmmm:

If I go to an archery forum and ask if I should buy a long bow or a lever action rifle I wonder what the response will be?

Get the MOTARD!!!

Find a used wr250x.

·
Registered
236 Posts
get the motard

·
Registered
264 Posts
OP, do you have any previous bike experience? If you don't, I recommend going the ninja route. Most of my friends that have started riding, I tell them to go the ninja 250/500 route if they have no bike experience. I have had a few friends buy brand new bikes, and realize they did not like riding. They had to take a large loss when they got rid of the bike. If you only invest $1000 on a 250 or 500, you can figure out if you like riding or not. If it is not for you, you can get you money back out pretty easy, and if not, it was a minimal loss. Some people just aren't motorcyclists. If you do have experience, the motard is pretty much the no-brainer answer. :thumbup:

·
Registered
366 Posts
SUPERMOTO. my friend has a 250 ninja and he just looks like a girl riding it but it is also a good starter bike. i think i would have became bored with it really quick. love my drz.......

·
Registered
127 Posts
i started on a 2007 ninja 250 and it was a blast for the 2 years i had it and honeslty i miss it sometimes when im carving the canyon cause it was so small and nimble. no matter how hard you try u CANT loop a ninja 250 unless ur on the passenger pegs, so its alot easier to learn clutch control. id say go for the motard if you have good control of yourself and are confident and not a cocky little bitch. otherwise get a ninjette and rail the piss out of it till your bored and step up to a bigger bike. btw im on a xr650r now. fun, just totally differnt animals, well if you can can the ninja an animal.....more like a rodent power instead of HP

·
Registered
269 Posts
DRZ

A 250 would be fun if you want to move on and track it but as a road bike DRZ all the way. Way more options on places ways to ride and way more growth potential.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
DRZ400SM or WR250X .......... those ninjas are incredibly shitty bikes

·
Registered
62 Posts
A dropped Ninja will cost you more to fix than a motard, especially one with hand guards and sliders. A 250 Ninja is a small naked bike hiding under sport fairing, the motard is the real deal. The motard is more nimble, has better visibility, and will massively out corner a Ninja. If you plan to go to the track, then the motard is a vastly superior learning tool, especially if the track is small and tight. The 600's will lose you in the straights, but you will kill them in the corners, at least that's my experience.

Plus, these are much more cool and much more fun to ride.

Keep in mind the extreme bias you will find on a motard forum, if you ask this question on a sport bike forum you will get "buy the Ninja" answers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought a yamaha xt 225 dualsport for my first bike 2 years ago, road the piss out of it, and i still do. was a great learners bike and i only payed 1500 for it. Its great cause i can go play in the neighborhood trails (actually all it ever see's now) and funny to play with in nasty weather. It literally feels like a really fast mountain bike, and ive had it peaked out at 90mph. Now I'm on a Husky sm610, which was a huge jump and took alot to get used to, but im glad i started on this platform!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have only ridden a ninja 250 once, felt like I could run faster. It was lucky to hit 50 on a downhill. It was only a few months old and ran good but I would never ride it again. If you are looking a a drz I have never ridden one but have ridden with them, they are not exactly overpowered. Get one that is pretty stock and ride the heck out of it and modify it when it gets boring to ride for you. To me to spend two grand on a bike that will bore you in a month just to have to spend 4 grand on another bike is a waste of time, buy what yo uwant first and learn to ride it. You can let off the htrottle on a bigger bike but cant go past the stops on a underpowered sissy bike.

·
Registered
408 Posts
you're posting on a motard forum, and you don't know what the answer is going to be? :clap:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you're posting on a motard forum, and you don't know what the answer is going to be? :clap:
thought you guys would have rode motorcycles other than supermotos your entire life. and being that im a poor broke ass college student i need a cheap bike but my ultimate goal is supermoto route as it feels a lot more natural to me. just 4,000 for the bike plus gear, plus insurance is around 5,500 total... that means im eating ramen and wokring more...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts