SuperMoto Junkie banner

Shortening swingarm?

8K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  maru 
#1 ·
I was looking at my xr 600 today and I noticed that I could take about three inches off of my swingarm.
I am a fabricator so I have the tools/knowhow to do it so I was wondering if anyone has done it and what kind of difference it would make to the way the bike rode?
Anyone ever done this?:headscrat

#2 ·
Umm...
Cutting 3 inches out of your swingarm will change your weight distribution radically, and you would have to redo your rear shock due to the lack of leverage. It would turn the bike into a wheelie machine. I like to think that the manufacturers do things for a good reason, and therefor I refrain from altering something big like a bikes geometry more than a little bit at a time.
Just my 2 cents.

#3 ·
I have only heard of lengthening for drag race bikes. Never have i ever heard of shortening. What you could do just to see what you like is snip a link off your chain and run the wheel as far forward as possible, versus rearward. I also agree shortening it would make the biek a mess, and require a new shock, linkage, etc.

#4 ·
The SXV's commonly have the rear swingarm shortened 30mm in conjunction with a few other things. Some of the factory ktm's also run a shortened and stiffer aftermarket swingarm. None of them a 3" shorter though, and all are done with significant testing I'd imagine.

At the end of the day the XR600 is what it is, I'd leave it.

#5 ·
Just find an extra one and go for it you will only be out the mooollaa for the used swingarm and a chain for the expeiriment !!! How were you gonna fabricate it? I would cut it then run a inner sleeve ,plug weld the inner sleeve through the exisiting swingarm in a couple spots then do a full weld on the swingarm.. Just my 2 cents I like making shit!, so go for it you never now what may come of it!!

#6 ·
Just looking at the swingarm I was planing on cutting out the excess material then just v-weld it back together. I would test it on a hydralic press and if it flexed more then I like it I would weld a brace to the inside.
I think if I ever do it it wont be for a while because I am so busy at work right now I don't know what i'm gonna do...
I like your idea of getting an extra swingarm though. I will probably try getting an extra masterlink and play with the wheel adjusters a little and see if I can tell a difference.
Thanks for all the input guys!

#7 ·
Just be carefull when welding suspension the lateral force I imagine your test will give out may not be the on force on the welds there would be twist from the torque as well as a another force but can't think of the name right now. Either way there are alot of things to watch . If you are doing a single weld put a bevel on but make it an open faced root so you get full pen. The thickness of the open root will depend on the thickness of the base metal. Depending on the thickness you might want a land on your bevel.

#8 ·
I meant bevel when I said v-weld.
I don't have to use all those fancy names where I work because usually we are doing sheetmetal work for wineries.(stainless)
I don't know if the twisting force would be significant enough...Its only a 600(not a big block v-8, Then I would be worried)
When I do do it I will take it easy and check for cracks often until I feel it is safe.
Thanks for your input you sound very knowledgeable...
What do you do for work?

#9 ·
Commercial Maintence , I 'm not currently in the field. Went through a bunch of classes in college for welding. Welding just as a hobby, cars, bikes,anything metal. Just started selling some of my metal as art sculptures and as functional art. You mostly with sheet metal like vats, or any pressure pipe?

#14 ·
The factory Huskies, KTM's and Aprilia's, all run swingarms about 30 mm shorter than the production stuff but nothing (rake, trail, ride height) else on the bikes are stock either. It is just one part of the handling package when going from a dirt bike to an SM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.