SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a completely stock 2006 DRZ400sm and need a little help with shifting. I can pick up 1st gear and ride it out...big fucking deal. I can usually get to the balance point too. But when I try to shift I usually dump it into neutral. I suck at clutching and I can't get 2nd gear to power up. This is all in a sit-down wheelie if it matters. Any advice?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm on a completely stock 2006 DRZ400sm and need a little help with shifting. I can pick up 1st gear and ride it out...big fucking deal. I can usually get to the balance point too. But when I try to shift I usually dump it into neutral. I suck at clutching and I can't get 2nd gear to power up. This is all in a sit-down wheelie if it matters. Any advice?
Most people go clutchless when the wheels up. The proper way to do that is to load the shifter lightly, then chop the throttle slightly. It should shift quite easily after you drop the throttle. I have yet to try it but this is what I've heard. I tried shifting with the clutch in a wheelie on my 125... that didn't end so well. :lol: Often the clutch is used to pop the wheel up too. Hears a good video on your bike that covers that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNQC_amZRJg

:bowdown:RIP, Samurai Jim.:bowdown:

Oh yeah; try to get comfortable on that balance point. I found that my wheelies got much better after I had spent a lot of time practicing on my mountain bike. Once you feel at home on the balance point riding a push bike, then you can move up to the big bike and your screw ups will be far less painful.

Have fun!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I am NOT a fan of clutchless shifting. Screw that, it makes the transition too abrupt for my tastes.... and can easily put you past balance point if you are close. Most of the time if you are actually up at balance point you don't accelerate much or have to shift much. For me, however, I get the wheelie up and when I know I am up near balance point I pull in the clutch just slightly and hit the shifter. 1st to second you sometimes have to pop pretty hard to make sure you get all teh way there... no biggy.

The other reason that I use the clutch is I can judge the amount of slip/power to raise lower the wheelies. It's supe rhelpfull when you start pulling them from a stop up to like a 12 position

·
Registered
262 Posts
Move your shifter down a notch so you will put more force on the shift when you pull up for second. Just don't force the shift or you will bend the 1-2 shift fork in the gearbox. Good luck!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Heres the problem, your bike is stock!! pipe, jet kit and 3x3 mod it. Then you can do clutched 2nd gear wheelies w/ no problem :thumbup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
i can stock pull 2nd gear wheelies. Im 210 lbs and 2nd can pop it up with a little technique. Bike needs to be learned in every aspect power delivery wise when you wheelie it.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
i think taller heavier riders can wheelie easier....and i also say clutch less through the gears with the front tire lofted.

RIP JIM!

·
Registered
340 Posts
i personly dont use the clutch to shift up gears at all but use it to go down
gears as long as when you shift you do it properly you wont damage anything
you just aplie slight pressure to shifter and back off the throtle slightly
and the engine speed and road speed match up (syncrnise)?? the gear change
happens realie smothly it takes practice and isnt for every one its just how i do it
keep practicing it so much fun when you get it :thumbup:
R.I.P JIM

·
1,229 Posts
rip jim!

anyway.. no clutch for shifting up on one.

start wheelie

as you get towards the top of (whatever gear you want to shift out of 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc)

get your toe under the shifter

apply a little upward pressure

dip the throttle / pull up on toe / get back into throttle

continue wheelie

it's an old one, but there are a couple shifts in this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq6yZQtSJXw

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Move your shifter down a notch so you will put more force on the shift when you pull up for second. Just don't force the shift or you will bend the 1-2 shift fork in the gearbox. Good luck!
good advice. :thumbup:
if you move the lever pointed down a tad bit more, when you goto shift, you can fully place it in 2nd easier.

as for the clutchless shifting, it can be done smoothly, but i highly suggest you learn and to it alot on 2 wheels before attempting it on 1.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!!! I clutched up 2nd gear 10 or 12 times today (not very high) and i'm starting to feel more comfortable with it. My shifting sucks but I'll keep working on it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Honestly bro, working on not needing to shift. When you learn to get second up reasonably high just start taking it back further and further. Cover and ride the brake a little bit (if need be) and you will get to a point where you aren't accelerating anymore. Thats a wheelie. Chasing a wheelie through a bunch of gears is pretty fun but when you can toss one back and just cruise at a consistent rpm for a mile or two you got it..... Just a thought

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly bro, working on not needing to shift. When you learn to get second up reasonably high just start taking it back further and further. Cover and ride the brake a little bit (if need be) and you will get to a point where you aren't accelerating anymore. Thats a wheelie. Chasing a wheelie through a bunch of gears is pretty fun but when you can toss one back and just cruise at a consistent rpm for a mile or two you got it..... Just a thought

Right on...I hear what your saying and I agree. I'm just trying to learn all aspects of being up on 1.:thumbup: Thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i can stock pull 2nd gear wheelies. Im 210 lbs and 2nd can pop it up with a little technique. Bike needs to be learned in every aspect power delivery wise when you wheelie it.
Can you tell me how? I weigh 240lbs and my bike is stock. Are you using clutch? I try to chop the throttle and yank but only get about 6in off the ground. Should I be standing?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Nooo, use the clutch. The throttle chop and yank is about the best method ever to loop a wheelie onto your head. The problem with it is that you are hammering the throttle wide open so the bike is starting to rev fast as the wheel comes up and to keep it going up to balance point and making gobs more power than you need.... It's really hard to explain but have faith... when you learn to clutch you will see. Try riding in second and slip in the clutch and hit the throttle, as the rpms go up let the clutch out and feel the way the bike comes up. Play around with different amounts of clutch and throttle and feel the way it wants to come up. Because you are riding in a lot lowewr rpms and the rpm spike is just really quick to loft the front wheel you are at a much lower and more comfortable rpm when the wheel is in the air.... That will help with not needing to shift so much

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks bro

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Nooo, use the clutch. The throttle chop and yank is about the best method ever to loop a wheelie onto your head. The problem with it is that you are hammering the throttle wide open so the bike is starting to rev fast as the wheel comes up and to keep it going up to balance point and making gobs more power than you need.... It's really hard to explain but have faith... when you learn to clutch you will see. Try riding in second and slip in the clutch and hit the throttle, as the rpms go up let the clutch out and feel the way the bike comes up. Play around with different amounts of clutch and throttle and feel the way it wants to come up. Because you are riding in a lot lowewr rpms and the rpm spike is just really quick to loft the front wheel you are at a much lower and more comfortable rpm when the wheel is in the air.... That will help with not needing to shift so much

i didnt think about it but... i guess i should have mentioned you need to close or start closing the throttle before its all the way up.. LOL
i do it that way because.. well, between the sportbikes and the CR500, im waaay overpowered.. so its not as aggressive to get it up with the throttle.. if that makes sense...
i did clutch it up on my duc over the weekend, but mostly because i was going fast enough that it was the only way to do it...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Haha, yea. My 929 was like that, I could just pin it and bring one up if I wanted. I still clutch them up though for the consistency. When you do one with the throttle it never comes up at the same rpm/rate unless you re always going the exact same speed. When you clutch them you are completely controlling the rpm at which the bike will start to rise and with that the rate it will rise.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went out tonight for awhile and practiced. I'm starting to get clutching in second. I worked alot in 1st, trying to stay at the balance point...is it me or is it a bitch in first gear? I was just chopping the throttle (i know i know, that technique sucks) at about 12 mph and it would either not come up high enough or it would snap up so quick that it was hard to keep there without looping. Oh well, i'll keep trying.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have found through alot of practice, never ridding a street bike at all, that around 18mph in 2nd that clutching up will work great with a little practice. I was very skeptical of clutching till I tried it, you can carry the wheelie longer cause you have more gear then first and not enough power to come over back wards like RAIDER stated.

I have been trying to get up on balance point long enough to start shifting, I can sorta ride out 2nd for a bit if I control, blimb, the throttle.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts