SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to downshift into first gear for very tight corners at races. After asking my fast friends, they said they never get down into first gear, except maybe in the dirt. I thought, if I use second gear, I will be bogging the motor through the turn. My friend told me to feather the clutch to help take up the bog as I power out of the turn. This actually did get me some faster laps and made me happy. When I told my other non-tard friend about this, he laughed at me, saying "you should never slip your clutch, you are wrong to do this". Seems wierd to me, isnt the clutch there for this purpose? Does this mean my gearing is off? When I used to downshift into first gear, my motor would rev like mad because I really was too fast for first, yet too slow for second with no clutch. Just wondering how others use the gearing and clutch while cornering.

·
Registered
498 Posts
first off, tell your friend to take a cold shower!

if your talking about grange... we usually never use first gear!

use second and feather if you need to, try some different gearing, sounds like you need a little taller in the rear. best of luck.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
If your non-slip buddy rides a Ducati or other dry clutch equipped bike then thats where his point comes from. Your SM has a wet clutch and you can feather it without fear of burning it up (within reason of course).

Moved to chat.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks blokes,

He is just a pure sportbiker, but even then I thought he should be familiar with clutch slipping. It is really a matter of just trying to carry more corner speed by using second instead of first. I need a slightly taller gearing maybe. I am running 14/44, might try 15/44 again.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You don't slip the clutch on a road race bike, except when downshifting when you don't have a slipper clutch. MX and off-road it is a common technique, as well as in SM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've ridden a ton of off-road and motocross and I can tell you that my clutch is being slipped most of the time unless I'm in a straight line accelerating. Slipping the clutch was the best technique I have ever learned to shorten lap times.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I find a higher gear encourages a higher corner speed. Too low a gear and you get stuck in a rut doing the same thing over and over, limited by your redline.

I don't slip it every exit, just on one or two where I'm stuck between gears (choose the higher one IMO).

That's my novice opinion.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I find a higher gear encourages a higher corner speed. Too low a gear and you get stuck in a rut doing the same thing over and over, limited by your redline.

I don't slip it every exit, just on one or two where I'm stuck between gears (choose the higher one IMO).

That's my novice opinion.
my point exactly! When I get faster cornering technique, I wont need the clutch as much cuz my engine and ground speed will match better.

·
Registered
797 Posts
taller

like a bigger rear sprocket or a smaller front.... you wouldnt want to run a 15 at grange unless you only had a 3 speed tranny... put that 14 back on and if it does it with that try a 46 in the rear versus a 44. The slowest corners at grange are 2 before and the one after the straight.... but first gear will make it harder on you for bettering your cornerspeed so run 2nd like you have been and just feather that clutch a couple pulls.... you comin up to buttonwillow?

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
I don't know if my thinking is correct or not. But I look at it the same way as when I'm driving my car. Unless I come to a COMPLETE stop I never shift into first, even if I'm down to only 5mph I'll still stay in second and basically feather the clutch out.

(Oh and obviously I'm talking about a manual car, hopefully everyone figured that out though)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
It is not a matter of First or Second - it is a matter of how you set up your bike - you want to set a bike up so you can run the tight turns in second. If you bog out of the corners - add a tooth or two to the rear sprocket.

But there are track that your gearing works perfect and second is the best with your gearing for the entire track but one turn - then there are times you might have to tap first if needed. But it's best to avoid having to pass neutral as often as possible to avoid missing a shift.

And you should never feather or slip the clutch on a four-stroke supermoto bike exiting corners. If you have to slip the clutch you are in the wrong gear.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've only ever tracked/raced a CRF 150f minimoto but know that I never feathered the clutch on the road section of any track. :thumbup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Scott's statement is correct.

A slipper works on entering the corner, not exiting. It slips when the back wheel is trying to spin faster than the engine speed (i.e. when you downshift entering the corner). When you roll on the throttle, there is no slip in the clutch.

It works by using a set of "ramps" below the inner clutch basket which force relief of the pressure plate when the engine is "back driven". Another name you'll see for a slipper is, back torque limiting clutch, which is more descriptive of its action.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wont be making it to Buttonwillow, but I will be at Fontana. I think my 14/44 will work ok. I feel that I can use second gear in the tight curves. I say this because i noticed a 1/8 inch chicken strip on my rear tire. That tells me i can go faster in the curves. Some of this is a "tire trust" issue on my part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts