SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I finally got my drz jetted and a pipe and im allready pretty bored with it. Ive been thinking about selling it and getting a 625smc they seem to be running about 4500-5000 depending on mods, i think i can get about that for my drzsm. how reliable are they? i know the lc4 is a good motor. what kind of power and handling diffrence can i expect, i know the numbers but id like to know some real world info, as well as the drivablilty of the 625smc

·
Registered
23 Posts
My first SM was a DRZ400E that I converted to a motard, being the 'E' it would have had a little more power than the DRZ400SM.
I now ride a KTM 640 LC4 SM (similar to the 625smc, same engine, etc) but I think the 625smc will be a little quicker because of the weight and carb difference..

Going from the DRZ400E to the KTM the first thing I noticed was the extra torque and low-down power, the KTM wins this one easily. The DRZ used to also struggle with the constant motorway trips which saw me hovering around 70-75mph for a good half hour, the KTM handles this much easier (although it is begging for a 6th gear).

So engine/power wise, the KTM wins hands down. In regards to handling, I found the DRZ a little more 'twitchy', but more chuckable. This may be due to the weight difference, ie. DRZ400E 262lbs Vs. KTM640LC4 SM 328lbs.. I could flick the DRZ through back streets with ease and could force it to do what I wanted by fighting it... the KTM is a little different due to the extra weight. It feels a lot more stable at high speeds, and holds a line smoothly through a corner, but if I try to fight it into doing something I normally don't win. I think the weight will be less of an issue for you as the DRZ400SM is a little heavier than the 'E' @ 295lbs and the KTM SMC is a little lighter than the 640 LC4 @ 321 lbs, so the difference will be less noticable. The power difference will probably be more noticable though as the DRZ SM produces less power than the 'E' and the 625 SMC produces more than the LC4 640, so that should be even better.

All in all, both bikes make excellent motards.. If I had to choose again, I'd probably still go for the KTM.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
You'll like the SMC!

I can't comment on the Suzuki as the only other motard I've ridden is a Husky SM610. In my opinion the Husky 610 and the KTM 625 are very well matched.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
am i close price wise like 4500-5000 depending on miles and year.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anybody know a good place to look, these things are impossable to find, other then the ads on here?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts