SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What types of anti-theft tactics do you guys use to keep your bike....yours?

I'm generally talking about the converted Sumo's that normally don't have ignitions and stem locks. I have a WR 400, and normally I don't ride it anywhere that I'd be away from it for a few moments (into a store for a water....piss, whatever) usually I'm out to ride, and that's it....occasionally though, I use it for a run to the store, post office, bank.....and when I do, I'm sweating bullets that it's gonna be gone when I come out.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I rode an XR600r converted sumo to school for the past couple months. It had no ignition, no locks. I eventually bucked up and bought a big ass chain and lock, and locked my bike to the same light pole everyday. But for the 2 months that I didn't lock it up, and with a student body of nearly 55,000 students, in the hell hole known as orlando fl- Its a MIRACLE that my bike stayed out there.

I would sit in class and NEVER get any work done because I would be worried about my bike being there.

Thats really the only place I ever had to worry about it. Since it was outside for hours on end, sometimes entire days- where I just was not able to check up on it. I'm pretty thankful it never got shoved in a van..

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have been contemplating putting some sort of kill switch or key switch on my KTM since it is kick start only. But, I figure anyone bad enough to ride a supermoto is bad enough to kick a thief's ass. . . . I kid, I kid.

any ideas on the key switch?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been contemplating putting some sort of kill switch or key switch on my KTM since it is kick start only. But, I figure anyone bad enough to ride a supermoto is bad enough to kick a thief's ass. . . . I kid, I kid.

any ideas on the key switch?
I'll PM you my secret switch setup.:anim_peep:

·
Registered
434 Posts
i have a hidden kill switch on my crf450x (in the air box, shhhhhh don't tell) .

but these bikes are so light they could easily be lifted into the back of a truck and gone in a minute. so even if it has a key or switch you still have other things to worry about.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't worry about it too much, because as a wise man once said, that which you fear the most is bound to happen. Kinda like looking through a turn...

+1 on insurance.

Frankly I worry more about stuff being taken off of it (it's happened) than it taking off

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
well i think an alarm and chain is a good "deterrent" (i say deterrent because if they really want it then nothing will stop some thieves) if you're just going to the store, but if you leave it somewhere where there wont be many people or overnight... you're asking for trouble with it being stolen, the only real safe thing to do is have it in your house and never leave it somewhere where it cant be seen by yourself.

bearing in mind i had the same bike stolen 3 fooking times, with chains and two of those times were from my back yard with a locked gate and the last was from my work where i was no further than 12 feet away from it and i didnt even notice it being stolen, it was free-wheeled down the hill i was working on, and that nothing in this life time is safe from thieves, just do the best you can to keep the things you cherish from those that want to take it from you!

·
Registered
386 Posts
i dont have any deterent except for full coverage insurance.....is somebody is out to get my bike, id like to think that i roll up just in time to give his skull a piece of my helmet.....

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a note about shit getting stolen, I just got back from PA on vacation with my wife/kids......Greatwolf Lodge in Scotrun.....they have this hotel-wide game where the kids run around with these $40 wands and do little quests (it's really quite fun). Well my son, who's birthday (7) is the reason we go every year was sitting on a chair near the lobby, playing his PSP, we tell him "lets go, we're going to dinner", he gets up, follows us around the corner, gets no more than 100' from where he was sitting, and he says "hey, I left my wand on the chair", so I say, "go back and get it....quick...."

Wouldn't you know that some maggot took it in the 30-45 seconds it took him to leave/turn around/go back! I was furious. I wanted to punch every one of those little bastards in the face that had a blue wand similar to his (they're either blue/silver/brown/pink).

I reluctantly bought him a new one, after giving him a little lecture about "takers" and how you really need to keep an eye on your stuff, b/c theives are everywhere......man I really, really hate theives......:rant:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
id like to think that i roll up just in time to give his skull a piece of my helmet.....
been there, done that, immensely satisfying, no jail-time, and I was able to visit the shitbag in the hospital (where I worked at the time, and where he tried to swipe my FZR1000) and tease him as he lay there with a TPN (feeding) tube up his nose.

Yes, I fu*ked him up that bad.

No, I never, ever felt even one second of remorse for what I did to him.

I did have to buy a new shoei though, I broke it, and doubt the blood would have come out anyway.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Pit bull with aids.

You can't stop a thief. If he wants your bike, he'll watch you, he'll try to steal it, and if he doesn't succede, he'll try to leave no evidence and come back later with the right tools.

Insurance, +1.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts