SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I just got my SDG tall seat today for my DRZ 400. Let me start by saying this is an initial review and I'll add to it after logging some miles.

1. When I opened the box I was impressed. The seat was shrink wrapped to keep the seat spotless during shipping. A really nice looking seat with a big SDG USA logo in the back and a small one right up near the tank. Four stickers....doesn't sound like much, but you'd be surprised how cheap some manufacturers can be.

2. Installation. My joy quickly faded when trying to install the seat. For a direct replacement seat, it was a pain in the ass to say the least. My bike is brand new, and not bent or tweaked in any way. I knew from past tall seats it would take a little bending and fiddling to get it right, but the rear bolt holes didn't even line up. The seat needed to go forward more, but there was just no way. They missed by about a 1/4".

3. After installing, the seat now has bunch marks and wrinkles on the top. I don't think they glue the cover to the foam like most companys. They may smooth out over time, but I would have expected a better overall fit and finish.

4. Comfort. I don't know yet. I haven't ridden far enough to tell. Initial impressions feel firmer than stock though. But I really like the extra legroom though.

Like I say, it's just an initial review. I'll post up more after the weekend when I get a chance to log some miles.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I've had more experience with Gutz and Renazco but maybe wait til it's been in the sun a bit and along with your weight it should settle down and the wrinkles go away.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks goose.....I'll try that. I really like the look and the extra legroom, just the fitment and loose cover kinda dissapointed me.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna get some updated pics of the bike this weekend tallboy.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I put over 170 miles on the seat yesterday. It's definately more comfortable than stock for sure, and I'm loving the legroom and flat seating area vs. the dip in the stocker. Most of the wrinkles came out after it got soaked and baked in the sun yesterday. Other than the fitment issues, I love it :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
I have a sdg step for my 450x. they don't make it for the x. I ordered a r model and had to trim the bottom a little. best seat ever!! quality is untouchable. I hate seat covers and bs. I had a guts on there. the guts grabs good when you are riding wheelies but so does the sdg. the seams are great on the sdg. it is just a great seat built by someone who cares about motorcycles.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Cool, thanks goose.....I'll try that. I really like the look and the extra legroom, just the fitment and loose cover kinda dissapointed me.
Yup, I was disappointed with the fit and loose cover. It still sits on the shelf. I bought the standard soft. I will find time to carve out the foam, align the mounts and re-fit the cover this winter.

I've found that the stock seat isn't so hard when you push yourself so fast on the western Wyo back roads, that you don't have time to think about comfort. :lol:

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the cover stretched pretty tight after getting wet and then baking in the sun this weekend. Didn't know they made one in soft? Hmmmm....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts