SuperMoto Junkie banner

School me on replacing the rear shock spring!

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Wheelsblank27 
#1 · (Edited)
I've exhausted the search button and can't find a definitive answer.. so here's my issue for my 2009 DRZ400SM... I'm about 205 pounds with full gear on and this rear shock is ridiculous. Bottoming out on everything. I know people replace them with stiffer ones, so is it as easy as getting a new spring and putting in on the shock once removed from the bike? What brand spring should I look for?

Bike will be used primarily for street hooliganism and a few track days here and there.

TIA everyone.

#5 · (Edited)
Racetech Springs. Peep their website for more information. They have a calculator you can use to recommend a spring rate for your weight, type of riding, etc. The factory setup is supposed to be for a 185 lb rider. As far as i know its just a matter of taking apart the swing arm/linkages to get the shock assembly out, replacing the spring, and reinstalling. I dont know how difficult that actually is, as i am planning on upgrading my spring soon. Spring will run you about $115, can probably find it just under $100 from some other online dealers.

I weigh 250 with gear, and while i definitely want to upgrade my spring, its really not that bad with the preload dialed in right (all the way up) and compression damping turned up. FYI i commute, ride aggressively on rocky/rooty trails (3 foot rock ledges, basketball sized loose rock, etc.) and have done SM track days as well. I find the suspension suitable, but not ideal for all three with some adjustment on the dials. I guess what im saying is, if you havent thoroughly explored your suspension adjustment settings, do so before upgrading your spring. No amount of money will fix a badly adjusted suspension.

#6 ·
It's easy to swap out. I don't know if you have a Showa or Kayaba, they have different ways of removing the stop collar at the bottom. We're talking about a 30 minute job and them a few more to set the sag for you. Consult YouTube for video on removing the stop collar there are several good ones. Also, if you find the part number of the spring you can try fleebay for used springs, people sell them all the time.

#7 ·
replace spring

hey bud, just went through the same situation w my dizzer, bout the same weight . 205 w gear. went on racetech..(as mentioned) calculated needed spring ( i went w a 5.7 or .8.. , they only make one of em) in the rear. (stock 5.5) its blue. Installation is easy.
1. place bike on stand.
2. remove lower linkage from rear shock ( 3 bolts i believe) , if stuck lift rear tire to relieve tension on linkage.
3.remove upper bolt ( 12 or 13mm)
4. once removed use screwdriver and hammer to loosen collars ( remember about where the collars were prior to removal)
5. replace spring w new racetech and reverse procedure for uninstal.
6. set racesag. i could go into detail but there are many posts on here and TT, also the new spring from racetech should come with instr. on setting sag.

i also recomend replacing the front springs, replace oil and revalving the fronts as well (makes a world of diff.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.