SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what you need to make a dirtbike street legal in SC? I have a 2006 kx450f but it is branded "off road use only". Is their any way around this? thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
You need to have a shop write it up as a "custom" bike I think.

Or buy my DRZ400SM, I am in Charleston!

·
Registered
51 Posts
you live in so cal? or south carolina haha i live in so cal and have the same exact bike and was looking at getting it street legal but have had no success so far either...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here's what you need in SC; lights, horn and brake lights. Take your off road title to a SCDMV office that does inspections and get it inspected.

SC has no requirement for turn signals, muffler or emissions

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey Dakota11, I live just south of Greenville and I'm having all kinds of trouble getting a title for my YZ426. What branch did you use to get a title status switched? I'm hitting a big dead end!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I personally have never retitled or gotten a title for an "off road only"; but I can tell you a DMV that's pretty easy to deal with. On I-26 west of Columbia there is a DMV I believe its the Ballentine/White rock exit. I had trouble getting a GP Replica bike legal due to its foreign manufacture. They got me hooked up, might wanna give that one a try. No lines & no waiting either! You will be at the counter before you start filling out paperwork. Good luck & please post results if you try it.....

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'll definitely post results, I found a post on Thumper Talk about a SCDMV form 400, but I've also seen that when you file that form your title comes back stamped "rebuilt" and I don't want to kill the resale value on the bike. This is getting so frustrating with NOBODY in the DMV knowing what's going on. They just want to tell you no, that is not possible and shove you out the door. I have family up in Indiana, might just let them title it and sell it back to me...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in Charleston right in the middle of this mess with a drz400e....nobody at the DMV knows so they tell you no, tried through a shop and they said they would put it in as a custom but they really didn't know what to do either. Im workin on one more lead with a dealer this week before I go back to the DMV friday and try the "rebuilt custom" "never had an MCO" route. I'll post how it goes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same Problem Here!

I just purchased a WR450F with a off road use only title and I have talked to three different people today about getting this thing registered but no one has a definite answer. I read a few posts about a rebuilt or home made title plus taxes and other things will get it done, but no one has a good answer. Please let me know if you find out anything definite.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's not that hard. You need a brake light, 1 mirror, and a headlight. I have turn signals on my Baghira, but it wasn't needed. You should NOT have to title it as a custom. Just give them the original model (they had to had the MZ when the original owner brought it from Germany.)

When I went to retitle, MuZ was still in the system and they did it under that, no questions.

No reason that it should be that hard or require any shop to get involved.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I did my XR600R, I had a form filled out and it inspected by a police officer. I never had the MSO, and the dealership burnt down and could not provide one. Honda would not either. I went to the main DMV office, explained that I could not get the MSO, and they agreed that if I could get the dealership to fax something saying that I couldn't get it then they would look it up in the system to see that it could be registered. The dealership I bought the bike from came through with that, and the lady came back and said the VIN did not come back as something that couldn't be reigstered. It took lots of time and research to get to that point. Most likely a KX will get flagged as not registerable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts