SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 3136 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my neighbor and I left my place We took hwy 8 east to the 79 and took that up and around Lake Cuyamaca and into Julian. Very little traffic and smooth sailing so far and not a single po po to be seen. The new uncorked DRZ was running beautifully and could now wheelie in second so the stoked factor is climbing. Once we got to Julian, we stopped to decide which way now? I decided to lead us up Farmers and then Wynola. Had to pass a couple of REALLY slow trucks loaded down with cinder blocks.

If you've ever been on Wynola, you may recall those couple of decreasing radius turns. I have had my share of close calls on every bike I took there but was playing cautiously today. My buddy on his kawi 600 trying to keep pace with me got sucker punched on the second d.r. and lowsided. I did'nt see him behind me as I hit a straight and new something happened so I went back to find him dusting himself off. He admitted that he panicked and started going wide until he slid out and kissed the pavement. On his way down, the bike landed on his foot spraining his ankle but other than that, only his ego and wallet got hurt. Damages were fairly minor including his mirror, left side of front cowl, left engine case was shaved down, left fairing and left rearset was snapped off.

So we pulled a couple of zipties off my bike to hold up the rearset that would have otherwise drug along the ground and got the tranny into 3rd. From that point we limped thru my favorite part of that road down to the 79 and then to HWY 67. I was riding behind the wounded bike when the broken rearsets heal plate decided to bounce off the pavement and turn into a flying chinese star searching for a direct hit to my radiator. Luckily I had just enough time dodge the shrapnel but the car tailgating me wasn't and took a direct hit to the grill. I have to addmit, I didn't feel too bad about that. Other that, the rest of the putt home was uneventful. Overall I consider it a good ride since nobody was seriously injured.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So, my neighbor and I left my place We took hwy 8 east to the 79 and took that up and around Lake Cuyamaca and into Julian. Very little traffic and smooth sailing so far and not a single po po to be seen. The new uncorked DRZ was running beautifully and could now wheelie in second so the stoked factor is climbing. Once we got to Julian, we stopped to decide which way now? I decided to lead us up Farmers and then Wynola. Had to pass a couple of REALLY slow trucks loaded down with cinder blocks.

If you've ever been on Wynola, you may recall those couple of decreasing radius turns. I have had my share of close calls on every bike I took there but was playing cautiously today. My buddy on his kawi 600 trying to keep pace with me got sucker punched on the second d.r. and lowsided. I did'nt see him behind me as I hit a straight and new something happened so I went back to find him dusting himself off. He admitted that he panicked and started going wide until he slid out and kissed the pavement. On his way down, the bike landed on his foot spraining his ankle but other than that, only his ego and wallet got hurt. Damages were fairly minor including his mirror, left side of front cowl, left engine case was shaved down, left fairing and left rearset was snapped off.

So we pulled a couple of zipties off my bike to hold up the rearset that would have otherwise drug along the ground and got the tranny into 3rd. From that point we limped thru my favorite part of that road down to the 79 and then to HWY 67. I was riding behind the wounded bike when the broken rearsets heal plate decided to bounce off the pavement and turn into a flying chinese star searching for a direct hit to my radiator. Luckily I had just enough time dodge the shrapnel but the car tailgating me wasn't and took a direct hit to the grill. I have to addmit, I didn't feel too bad about that. Other that, the rest of the putt home was uneventful. Overall I consider it a good ride since nobody was seriously injured.
Ouch, not good to hear about the lowside :( Wynola can be sketchy with weekend traffic, but some nice tight twisty roads to enjoy otherwise.

I'm down for a SD ride this weekend, any other takers?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rest of my weekend is booked but next fri and sat are free so far. What part of town are you from Teebes? I'm in el cajon. I picked up my drz about 3 weeks ago and can't get enough seat time!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Ouch, not good to hear about the lowside :( Wynola can be sketchy with weekend traffic, but some nice tight twisty roads to enjoy otherwise.

I'm down for a SD ride this weekend, any other takers?
Greg, save it for the next track day, or next Qualcomm.

Come my shop anytime to say "hi" and b.s. :thumbup:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Its gorgeous today in Carlsbad. Where can I go for a few quick turns? :headscrat

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
^^Rancho Sta.Fe-Del Dios Hwy^^

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
You loaned it to me for some Extreme Heat testing up here in the high desert. It was doing well, until the valet backed it into a pole over here at Snookey's (our favorite semi-nudie bar).

You guys need to come north. We did a 120 mile loop for breakfast this morning - four DRZ's and an Antique Velocette.

Tetge should have some vids up shortly in the "LA Ride" thread.

Hope to see you all out there one of these days. Sorry for the thread hijack, but I figured it was better than anything Smrookie had to say anyway! Haahaaaa Sukka ! :nutkick:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You loaned it to me for some Extreme Heat testing up here in the high desert. It was doing well, until the valet backed it into a pole over here at Snookey's (our favorite semi-nudie bar).

You guys need to come north. We did a 120 mile loop for breakfast this morning - four DRZ's and an Antique Velocette.

Tetge should have some vids up shortly in the "LA Ride" thread.

Hope to see you all out there one of these days. Sorry for the thread hijack, but I figured it was better than anything Smrookie had to say anyway! Haahaaaa Sukka ! :nutkick:
Lol. A good kick in the nuts never hurt anyone... uuuhemmm,, except the dude getting kicked.

So what was the route you guys took? Id be down (or up) for an LA ride one of these days. It would be cool to round up a few of us SD riders and terrorize your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
...... and terrorize your neck of the woods.
Yeah, I heard there are plenty of twisties around a small town called San Marino up there. No cops in sight, from what I hear!! The rich folks are hardly ever home, so you won't be bothering the residents.:laughingr

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Again, ignore SMRookie. He's a Rookie. I've been here since '05. That means nothing, but to tell you he's nuts.

:lol:

Us high desert guys came down Angeles Forest Highway to Big Tujunga Cyn, over the 210 freeway and then back up the serious twisties from Osbourne off the 210 to Sand Cyn. and the 14. We then ran Bouquet Cyn. over to Elizabeth Lake Rd. and back around. Minimal freeway, moderate high speed sweepers on the Forest Hwy, and the real tight good stuff off Sand Cyn. / Bouquet Cyn ect. There are fun variables like Stunt Cyn. and some others that are basically single track paved roller coasters. Plus, an insane breakfast at Crazy Otto's in Leona Valley.

You guys should come up. I came all the way down to play with everyone last weekend at the Q. So it is only fair.

Actually, a nice compromise would be for you to get with SMRookie, and have him prep your bike, and then go to Adams Kart track in Riverside, or up to Grange' Track in Victorville.

Every so often he puts on the big "DRZ Invasion" events, and every self respecting DRZ owner shows up for some casual track time and jaw jacking. Those are great. Matter of fact, Cesar, aren't we over-due for another? :hmmm:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Both sound like killer options. Are you planning on coming back down for the august event at the Q? I'm lookin forward to meeting up with some SM dudes. All my bros are sport bike riders, I decided to make a change and got my drz a few weeks ago. Its been every bit of fun as I thought it would be.:bowdown:

·
Registered
762 Posts
if you guys don't mind one more I would love to join whenever you all make plans!

1 - 20 of 3136 Posts