SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kinda new to the sport and looking to get my bike on the track at least once before the summer is over. i was wondering what all needs to be safety wired on the bike? thanks guys
:D

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
First check with the organization you will be racing with. There is no point in wiring up a ton of stuff that doesn't need it. Safety wiring is a PIA. Drilling all those tiny little holes in bolts will drive you nuts in a short period of time.

·
Registered
497 Posts
First check with the organization you will be racing with. There is no point in wiring up a ton of stuff that doesn't need it. Safety wiring is a PIA. Drilling all those tiny little holes in bolts will drive you nuts in a short period of time.

+1, but you only have to do it once. Mainly anything that holds oil. Most organizations have you drain coolant and re-fill with water so they're not as critical for coolant drain bolts. Make sure you get rid of all the coolant... it's more slick than oil on the track, and you can't see it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
+1. SMUSA (N. Ca), only requires the oil fill and drain plugs to be wired. The techs spend more time looking for appropriate catch bottles and sliders. Purge the radiator and dump in some water wetter or straight distilled water.

·
Registered
542 Posts
when you go to buy safety wire DO NOT buy it from a bike dealer!!!!! go to your local airports FBO (fixed base operator) and get the wire from their parts department 0.32 & 0.20 1lb spools go for $6.00 - $7.50 a huge savings lasts long time!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
471 Posts
safety wire only the parts you still want to be there when the race is over.

I wise man told me that when I first started racing and asked the same question.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts