SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ryan, quick question if you don't mind. I have been trying snapping up wheelies from a stop right up into a 12 at like slow walking pace and I am having some issues. When I come to a stop I clutch it up hard and slip in the clutch and hit the rear brake to stop at the twelve position and start to slip the clutch out to keep it at a slow creeping speed but I am having a hell of a time keeping straight. I was playing with some body positions and it seems like the more I lean into the bike the more stable but at what point is it more about adjustments than body position? I can get them to straighten a little but I end up having to work the clutch because I run street gearing and it is TOUGH to keep it from stalling.

Any insights on body position, adjustment, etc would be awesome.

As far as background I can roll out BP first gear wheelies until I get too much armpump to hang on anymore, lol. My issue is just when I hammer them straight up from zero mph.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If you really want to crawl in a straight line, you might wan to try lettin some air out of the rear tire, it makes a big difference. Try 15-20 psi and see if it helps. When I put a new tire on, I run it down to 15, then as the peak gets worn down from burnouts, I pump it back up to 20-25. You can work the bars also to counteract the bike goin side to side, and toss a knee out a bit to transfer your wieght to straigten it out too. Or, just lean in, give it gas and rock a circle or two! That pretty much how you get into one, the bike falls in one side or the other and you go with it and keep the front end high. Try the tire pressure though, it will be way more stable at low speeds.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, I appreciate it man. I have no idea where my tire is, lol, I will have to check. I was trying to use my knee and the bars a little, I will just have to sack up and let them hang some, lol. Working on slipping the clutch and braking hard enough to stop it but not bring it down was pretty tough and seemed like a lot of things to do at first...

I know it will be different due to gearing, etc. but how much do you slip the clutch while riding them like that. I feel like I have to a lot but wasn't quite sure

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Awesome, I appreciate it man. I have no idea where my tire is, lol, I will have to check.
:laughingr Look under the rear fender raider!!! I bet thats where it is:lol:
Just kiddin man... I'm gonna have to drop mine too... I run like 23-25 and with my light ass on it you sure cant tell its there. Ryans tire looks low...you can see it flatten out, not mine.
Let us know how it works raider!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do. I am going to have to lower it and go do some burnouts..... lol. Then we shall see. I was doing a few on the way to work today (ya gotta love stop signs out in teh sticks) and I realized the the more I relax and not pull the bars (like a normal wheelie) the straighter it comes up

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I know it will be different due to gearing, etc. but how much do you slip the clutch while riding them like that. I feel like I have to a lot but wasn't quite sure

Any time I'm past the balance point, I have the clutch in, doing circles the clutch is in half the time also, scraping, the clutch is in. So I slip it alot even with the gearing. Its the gifference in torque when I let it back out that I like, the power is right there, and its alot easier on the clutch itself to run the lower gearing also.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
:laughingr Look under the rear fender raider!!! I bet thats where it is:lol:
Just kiddin man... I'm gonna have to drop mine too... I run like 23-25 and with my light ass on it you sure cant tell its there. Ryans tire looks low...you can see it flatten out, not mine.
Let us know how it works raider!

When I put a new tire on, I let it down to 15, then I go up from there to make it easier to drift and burnout once the tire is broken in.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good deal.... I was using A LOT of clutch and wondered if I was cheating and putting more undue abuse to my bike, lol.

Drifting.... that is one I definitely want to figure out! lol

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like you just lock up the brake to lose traction then power over the brake and keep it sliding with the power? Any suggestions? I have played with it a few times but didn't really have a direction to go in

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
It looks like you just lock up the brake to lose traction then power over the brake and keep it sliding with the power? Any suggestions? I have played with it a few times but didn't really have a direction to go in
yeah, thats how you get it started, but its a difficult balance of highsiding and lowsiding when you let the clutch out, the bike has to be leaned over pretty far too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts