SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2003 DRZ400 I got a couple months ago, it's been fine until the other day I started it and then after a minute it stalled and wouldn't start again. We jump started it but when we took the battery off it stalled. So it's not putting power out to charge the battery but also won't run on it's own without a charged battery connected. Ive checked the stator it's not shorting out and the the pins are putting out around 30V ac. The rectifier tests ok but isn't putting out power. To my understanding even without the battery the bike should run on its own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome.

I'm pretty sure you need battery power for the ignition on the DRZ but I'm not 100% sure. If the battery is good and charged, it should run fine without the charging system till the battery goes dead.

My first move would be to charge and test the battery to make sure that is good. A quick and dirty test is to check the battery voltage when charged. It should be 12.8+ volts. Then crank the bike. A good battery will stay above 10.5 volts while cranking.

Also, 30v AC sounds low. Most bikes are 65v+ AC minimum across all windings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HHii think the battery is ok it charges up on a charger and holds voltage ill test today cranking under load.

Not being a smart ass but should it not run without a battery in place. Like if I had a brand new bike so everything was working start it and the disconnect the battery it will stop

·
Registered
7 Posts
HHii think the battery is ok it charges up on a charger and holds voltage ill test today cranking under load.

Not being a smart ass but should it not run without a battery in place. Like if I had a brand new bike so everything was working start it and the disconnect the battery it will stop
The charging system is not like a car as the alternator field is fixed magnets. That means the bike does not charge well, if at all, at idle. Throw in the draw of the lights and I don't think there is enough capacity to keep the voltage up enough to keep the ECM happy.

My guess is the bike should run without the battery if the rpm was kept high enough. The dangerous part there is that the battery also acts as a damper on the electrical system to smooth out spikes and dips. A sudden spike might fry something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can confirm it does run without the battery connected now but it was only putting out 8 volts. I went for a ride and it stalled on me and wouldn't start again until it cooled down and jump started it

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can confirm it does run without the battery connected now but it was only putting out 8 volts. I went for a ride and it stalled on me and wouldn't start again until it cooled down and jump started it
8 volts sounds like a dead battery and no charging.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts