SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a hard time wheelieing this bike, and my stoppies were all only like 2feet off the ground only, so I decided to do a small flight stairs instead.

It is hard find a longer set where you wont get busted. But I have also found a small urban jump as well, pics to follow of that this week.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDmKau74pA

pic:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Great to see ya back in action!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
344 Posts
That bad boy sounds nice! Next time hit the stairs at about 25mph and launch it!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rowdy is my real name, so yeah.... and I have had to calm down....(ps it wasn't you that called the cops on me for bottle rockets yesterday was it??)

Yes, I need a bigger stair ride, maybe only like 3x what that is. If the landing there wasn't soo crappy and on a busy street I should have just rode about 20mph and just kinda rode off, jumped a flat landing of them.

I am technically not supposed to be riding my supermoto until Wednesday due to the hardware I still have in my arm from being in the hospital.

But I couldn't resist!!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I hear ya. Glad your feeling better.The bike wheelies great! Try clutching it up in 1st and bringing it down w/ brake, once that feels comfy try a shift into 2nd and than 3rd...etc. The bike does great stoppies just get it it to the balance point, hold it there and its heavy enough to do the rest. Go bigger!:D

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't clutch a wheelie to save my life.... its sad. Don't pull my supermoto card though...

And true, I am finding stoppies are much easier with the right body position on this bike rather than just my right hand doing all the finessing and work.

OK, now I gotta find a good stair launch to make you guys happy...(yes, I had a back protector on under that jacket)

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
ROOOOOOOWDY........WHAT'S UP MAN?!

Good to see you are still kickin ass over there on the West coast....

Hey man, if you are trying to learn clutch wheelies just do what we KTM boyz do....clutch it, gag it and then dump it!!!

:bowdown:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Pull your sumo card?? I dont think I have the authorization for that. I'm just a mediocre rider myself. But hey try 2 fingers for clutch&brake from the looks of your pic you've got all 4 wrapped around your clutch lever. Try 2 and its alot easier to dip into the clutch its dam near impossible with more.
........Just this mediocre rider's 2 cents.

Bike looks great!

·
Registered
702 Posts
That bad boy sounds nice! Next time hit the stairs at about 25mph and launch it!
Thats what I was thinking :) I was like 'Hey, hes got enough run at those to clear them all in one shot.. he must be goin slow this time to sight them in.. next time he'll ju- oh.. the vids over?'

I love that 250 man! beautiful ride!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ill jump a set. no worries and get it videod!!!!

i have my levers cut down to only be 3 finger levers, so you wont see it extend past my other fingers. brake hand is 2 fingers, clutch is 3 for me.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Rowdy...has all that time in the desert made you more fearfull of death...give it some gas at the top of those stairs buddy. (show us some of that fearless stuff).

NICE BIKE BRO!!!!!! how do you like the 250 as compared to the drz???

City college has some really bitchen long sets of stairs you might have fun with...30-50 steps and several in sucession making for some BIG hills to traverse.

You'll have to bring that to the desert sometime...Im betting it would be a boatload of fun in the hills.

glad to see ya back and back in action.

SDMOTARD

·
Registered
180 Posts
If your gonna play on stairs that small, at least look for a placard with 4,4,4 and a w with a line through it. I think that would be a safe place to play.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What kind of bike is that? It should wheelie pretty easy in 1st...?

If not...from a rolling stop...accelerate hard for 1/2 a second...then let off the throttle completely, this will compress the forks a lot, then snap the throttle back open. (This maneuver doesn't use the clutch at all). Also...jerk back on the handlebars when you snap the throttle open to help loft the front wheel.

I think that people have trouble wheelying sometimes because there is some mental block that prohibits them from opening the throttle as quickly and as much as needed...maybe for fear of looping it out.

Practice this technique and you should be able to do some good wheelies. Might work in 2nd depending on how much power your bike has. 2nd gear wheelies are easier IMO because it's easier to modulate the throttle.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like my little 250!! i am having tons of fun with it. yes, the drz is a bigger motor and a little more substantial feeling. but the wrx is a much better put together motorcycle and sooo easy to ride fun and supermoto style. i like it very very much. it will easily be a top 5 lifetime motorcycle for me.

ok, guess i need to go practice my wheelies this month....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts