SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 08 Husky SM 610 that has a rough start in the cold. The bike has 3600 miles on it, with a new battery and air filter. The next things I can think of would be fuel filters and spark plug. I can get it maintenanced at the dealer I purchased it from but that's a long ways away. Any advice or ideas?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Valves might need adjusting. There is a sticky in the Husky section that will show you how to do it.:coffee:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
At 3600 miles, I would be surprised if it's a maintenance issue but then again, I don't know the valve intervals on those bikes. I recently had similar trouble with my SMC and found a kink in the fuel line between the filter and the fuel pump. I "braced" the kinked area with a split 3/8" fuel hose sleeve and a couple zip ties, and now the bike fires right up. The difference though is that all of this stuff was wet, as in inside the fuel tank on the SMC. Yours is different and probably easier to inspect but less likely to be kinked. Still, it's worth checking.

You may also have a dirty injector. I don't think it takes much to mess those up. You can send the throttle body off for professional cleaning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.

Would any of this have to do with a cold start? In the mornings the bike is rough but in the afternoons when the temps have risen and it's been in the sun it's starts like a charm.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
As a fuel injected bike it does not have a choke but instead uses temp sensors to measure both the engine temp and the air temp. An issue with either of these could cause your issue, with the engine temp sensor being more likely. But I do not have experience with your bike and am only basing this on my experience with other fuel injected bikes. If you post this question in the Husky section you may get more specific knowledge.
And valve clearances out of wack could cause the issue as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts