SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the build thread: http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?109853-my-1995-RM125-roadracer-build&highlight=125

I changed some things, of course. Centered the front wheel, put the bigger carb on, had the seat chopped and custom covered. The bike basically wouldn't run without the air box, so that went back on. I had to get creative with the front brake alignment, but I got it worked out. It's maiden race track voyage came at USA International Raceway in beautiful Shawano, WI. If you've never been...... Make it a point! This was a Saturday practice, Sunday race format with the NorthwoodsGP gang. They run a top notch double header WSBK type set up where you get two races.... It offers a good chance to beat that guy in race 2 that just nipped you in race 1.

I mainly focused on my 65 during the practice day, and was the instructor for the new rider school. Practice days normally run until dark, so I took the 125 out around 5:30, after I tidied up a few tech items. I have zero supermoto riding style experience, and only slightly more dirt experience. I'm a road racer by nature, and I was surprised when the modified SM style felt natural. "modified?" you say..... Yeah, well I was on the outside of the bike like a SM guy, but my foot was more like in the position of where my knee would normally be, just skimming the track. It probably looked a lot weirder than it felt. I was also surprised at how well the bike seemed to work! It turned nicely, seemed to handle well, braked decent.... Although the stock 1995 master cylinder was a bit overwhelmed, with quite a bit of lever throw and requiring a hard pull. I assumed this would lead to some forearm pump, but didn't have any on hand options aside from stealing a certain someone's berringer master off of their KTM125sx when they weren't looking..... But apparently he knows me, and was always looking. :D i also (unknowingly) had my salt flats gearing on, never getting out of 4th, and difficult to keep on the pipe. The motor still had enough to pass a 250f going up the back straight, so I was pretty happy.

Sunday I qualified last, but I was right next to my main (read only) target, Glen, my team mate. We joked we'd battle for last. It was the first time on track for both bikes, so it was more or less a shakedown race. I got my usual craptacular start, but we were pretty bunched together. I followed Glen for quite a few laps, putting that 2 stroke in his ear everywhere I could. I could see he didn't like it, glancing over his shoulder everywhere. I could see where he was stronger, and where I was. He slid over and let me by, finally tired of me behind him. He prefers to be the hunter and not the hunted. We quickly caught and passed a KTM 4 stroke, and I was going back and forth with styles still. I finally settled on road racing style..... Tipped it into the left hander before the corkscrew, and BAM, I was on the ground. Sliding down the hill, and I spin to see a blue Yamaha in a shower of sparks behind me. We both finally came to a stop, and I jumped up and asked Glen, "you okay?!"
"yeah!"
"wtf happened? Did you crash trying to not hit me?"
"no. The plan was always to hit you if you crashed in front of me!"

Race red-flagged, oil on the track, and we found it. Luckily neither of us were hurt, and both bikes were relatively fine. I've never had a tire come out from underneath me so quick, which only makes sense in oil. :D

Over all I was extremely impressed with how the bike did it's thing. Plans are in store for improved braking, and rear sprocket is ordered. We race again next weekend at Road America on the Briggs track, which is my favorite place to get down. Hopefully my little 125 has the legs to pull away from Glens 250 this time around, and I can go a little better with some improved gearing and brakes. The bike was really fun to ride, and I had way more fun on the big bike than I thought I would. Sadly, I'm still faster on my 65, but that should turn around at RA.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
both of us skipped race 2, after a long day of practicing the day before, and a long night of thirst quenching Saturday night. Add a lot of laps on Saturday, and 3 other races on my 65, a long drive home..... Id had enough. Dance routine planned if we ever both crash together again. :D

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Cool story, bro. :needpics:

·
Registered
799 Posts
This is awesome man! Do you have any footage or any more pics?

Here's the build thread: http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?109853-my-1995-RM125-roadracer-build&highlight=125

I changed some things, of course. Centered the front wheel, put the bigger carb on, had the seat chopped and custom covered. The bike basically wouldn't run without the air box, so that went back on. I had to get creative with the front brake alignment, but I got it worked out. It's maiden race track voyage came at USA International Raceway in beautiful Shawano, WI. If you've never been...... Make it a point! This was a Saturday practice, Sunday race format with the NorthwoodsGP gang. They run a top notch double header WSBK type set up where you get two races.... It offers a good chance to beat that guy in race 2 that just nipped you in race 1.

I mainly focused on my 65 during the practice day, and was the instructor for the new rider school. Practice days normally run until dark, so I took the 125 out around 5:30, after I tidied up a few tech items. I have zero supermoto riding style experience, and only slightly more dirt experience. I'm a road racer by nature, and I was surprised when the modified SM style felt natural. "modified?" you say..... Yeah, well I was on the outside of the bike like a SM guy, but my foot was more like in the position of where my knee would normally be, just skimming the track. It probably looked a lot weirder than it felt. I was also surprised at how well the bike seemed to work! It turned nicely, seemed to handle well, braked decent.... Although the stock 1995 master cylinder was a bit overwhelmed, with quite a bit of lever throw and requiring a hard pull. I assumed this would lead to some forearm pump, but didn't have any on hand options aside from stealing a certain someone's berringer master off of their KTM125sx when they weren't looking..... But apparently he knows me, and was always looking. :D i also (unknowingly) had my salt flats gearing on, never getting out of 4th, and difficult to keep on the pipe. The motor still had enough to pass a 250f going up the back straight, so I was pretty happy.

Sunday I qualified last, but I was right next to my main (read only) target, Glen, my team mate. We joked we'd battle for last. It was the first time on track for both bikes, so it was more or less a shakedown race. I got my usual craptacular start, but we were pretty bunched together. I followed Glen for quite a few laps, putting that 2 stroke in his ear everywhere I could. I could see he didn't like it, glancing over his shoulder everywhere. I could see where he was stronger, and where I was. He slid over and let me by, finally tired of me behind him. He prefers to be the hunter and not the hunted. We quickly caught and passed a KTM 4 stroke, and I was going back and forth with styles still. I finally settled on road racing style..... Tipped it into the left hander before the corkscrew, and BAM, I was on the ground. Sliding down the hill, and I spin to see a blue Yamaha in a shower of sparks behind me. We both finally came to a stop, and I jumped up and asked Glen, "you okay?!"
"yeah!"
"wtf happened? Did you crash trying to not hit me?"
"no. The plan was always to hit you if you crashed in front of me!"

Race red-flagged, oil on the track, and we found it. Luckily neither of us were hurt, and both bikes were relatively fine. I've never had a tire come out from underneath me so quick, which only makes sense in oil. :D

Over all I was extremely impressed with how the bike did it's thing. Plans are in store for improved braking, and rear sprocket is ordered. We race again next weekend at Road America on the Briggs track, which is my favorite place to get down. Hopefully my little 125 has the legs to pull away from Glens 250 this time around, and I can go a little better with some improved gearing and brakes. The bike was really fun to ride, and I had way more fun on the big bike than I thought I would. Sadly, I'm still faster on my 65, but that should turn around at RA.

·
Registered
752 Posts
That looks like such a fun little ripper! Cant wait to see more progress as you and the bike evolve.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! It's been a fun build, and it's a blast to ride!
Current updates are a 45t rear sprocket, and a 13mm master cylinder with a braided line vs the 11mm and rubber line that was on it. Should be an improvement.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Wow!!!!

The bike looks GORGEOUS! So much inspiration!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts