SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed down there with about 23 others the first week of June, anyone going to be around?
I think there are only two of us on sumo's going, so it would be nice to get schooled by some of you pros out there.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I'm headed down there with about 23 others the first week of June, anyone going to be around?
I think there are only two of us on sumo's going, so it would be nice to get schooled by some of you pros out there.
Have you read about the over enforcement at the end of last season?

Check out www.tailofthedragon.com so you can be prepared for some good alternates if the THP is still over enforcing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you read about the over enforcement at the end of last season?

Check out www.tailofthedragon.com so you can be prepared for some good alternates if the THP is still over enforcing.
yea dude, saw that, hopefully it won't be too bad since we'll be there during the week.
last year they said the same thing and we mainly stayed off the dragon except for one run a day, maybe two. but then again I had a street bike there and riding some of those other roads on a sumo might be rough

·
Registered
351 Posts
yea dude, saw that, hopefully it won't be too bad since we'll be there during the week.
last year they said the same thing and we mainly stayed off the dragon except for one run a day, maybe two. but then again I had a street bike there and riding some of those other roads on a sumo might be rough
Check out North Georgia instead.Mad Maps and some other people sell some great maps of the S/E states.Screw the gap,even if THP isn't there you will be stuck behind cruiser riders who are too scared to let you by or force you to stuff them.Lots more down that way than just the Gap.You could base out of Bristol,Tn and ride for 7 days and not see all the good roads.In my experience it isn't just the cops that ruined 129 but the unskilled people who think they can ride better than they can.These types rarely go off the beaten path and neither do the cops.But if you must go to 129 bring a camera and have witnesses as THP has no integrity when it comes to enforcement!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out North Georgia instead.Mad Maps and some other people sell some great maps of the S/E states.Screw the gap,even if THP isn't there you will be stuck behind cruiser riders who are too scared to let you by or force you to stuff them.Lots more down that way than just the Gap.You could base out of Bristol,Tn and ride for 7 days and not see all the good roads.In my experience it isn't just the cops that ruined 129 but the unskilled people who think they can ride better than they can.These types rarely go off the beaten path and neither do the cops.But if you must go to 129 bring a camera and have witnesses as THP has no integrity when it comes to enforcement!
We were looking in to that actually, all in Northern Georgia, something like route 180 off of 129/19 at Blood Mountain and Neels Gap, those and Wolf Penn Gap Road look pretty good too. Any experience on those?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah,rode them all.I would say ride 180 to Suches and stop at T.W.O. and hook up with some locals or ask the people inside where all the good tight roads are.North GA is alot of fun and away from the BS. Just don't try to hang with some of the local guys unless you are really good.Ran with a few local boys and they know every inch of those roads and can really haul ass.Never ran into anybody down there that wasn't cool.Try and get back to your hotel before dark because those roads suck at night and there are boars,deer and bears up in the mountains and the lights from a SM ain't exactly bright.Pack an extra tube too as from what I remember bike shops were hard to find and I doubt many shops stock tubes for 17's.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ride the Cherohala Skyway. Not as tight as Deals Gap but faster and NO cops. Very nice sweepers! Little traffic and no Big Rigs on it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Ride the Cherohala Skyway. Not as tight as Deals Gap but faster and NO cops. Very nice sweepers! Little traffic and no Big Rigs on it.
I hate to disagree, but I've been chased by a State Trooper on the Skyway.

Don't go TOO crazy up there.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I hate to disagree, but I've been chased by a State Trooper on the Skyway.

Don't go TOO crazy up there.
I will agree on the presence of cops on the skyway! Not to mention those lame ass volunteer fireman that sit up there at the pull off areas and radio your location to the state toopers. Thats exceeding your duties as a "weed beater" if you ask me! Oh,and the tribal police ain't too friendly either! QUOTE "Speeding like that is grounds for an ass beatin' round here" heard that one on the approach to the skyway!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Mango, you gotta tell the get away story! I am sure it will be a good one!
oh damn, there's a get-a-way story? I gotta hear this one.
we got chased by an old lady in the Snowshoe WV area years back when I race mountain bikes...even got chased by a momma bear for about 30 feet, but for some reason I think I'd be more scared of the locals out in 'dem dere woods ya'know...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah 'iffin u hear banjo music run for your life or u might be made to "squeal like a piggy,boy"....those of us who are old will know what movie that is from.Those that don't have missed a great movie.If u do watch the movie be warned,you may never want to go rafting again! That gives me an idea! How about all of us that are close to WV plan a SMJ ride/rafting trip and stay in New River Gorge.Lots of great roads and scenery! Say we look towards the fall like September or early October.Anyone interested? If anyone is interested I will post something up and set a date.Suggestions on a date,during the week or weekend?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i'd be up for some rafting or kayaking for sure...but id be packin my .45 just in case there are any scenes from Deliverance

1 - 20 of 20 Posts