SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am looking to get a supermoto for the street, are they any good for long distances if geared right and taken easy?

A few mates want to ride to Spain from the UK next summer which is around 1000miles each way. I've got no problem doing an oil change or two en route if need be.

Am looking at something around 400-500cc, 2003 Yamaha WR450, Honda CRF450 etc.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think a DRZ400sm, or a wr450 would be best. Some people swear by their honda's, but stock they are horrible for street, and even modified a lot more maintainance intensive than some of your other options. DRZ400sm will do it without a problem. One oil change halfway, or even possible after the trip. Its not the lightest or fastest, but it is pretty much bulletproof. Have you checked out husky's though? the new 630 is :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I vote drz400sm cause I have one :D O yea and I just took a 1200mile road trip this weekend on it :bannana: 2 months ago I did another epic road trip that was 1650 miles. Changed oil half way through on that trip though. No problem with the bike on those trips. Got the bike with 1600 miles on it 4 months ago and it now has 8200 miles on it. Only major things wrong with it are tires, I seem to go through them a lot :lol:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I change my Dr-Zs oil about every 2000-2500 miles if I'm commuting on it. They really are great GTO (gas, tires and oil) bikes. Looking at picking up an XR650R as a second bike though.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
honestly that kinda of distance one way sure there are a few bikes id take on it change oil at the other end but honestly this is the very reason i picked up a more distance orientaited ride as well as the supermoto.

But id have no issue ridng my 05 yz450 1k one way then change oil lube chain and roll but its boring highway on that bike honestly.

but the wr450 drz400 and xr650 are the others id trust to do that route if i really wanted too but my sumo is hooligan localish only the fz1n on the other hand is almost the same ride feel only like its big brother its awsome.

z

·
Registered
804 Posts
690 smc.....just get yourself a comfy seat first.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
^^^ What he said! Any of these bikes will have a small hard seat thats not good to your ass for distance riding. Buy an aftermarket seat or restuff it yourself to give your butt more support and add a sheep skin. I can do 350 miles sitting on a sheep skin on the stock seat and do OK. Beyond that it really starts to suck and once you hit 450 miles its time to get off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
gel seat

your going to want a gel seat or something comfy after about 4hrs on the bike, especially if the roads are long and straight. if theres alot of turning you'll be entertained longer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Road Trip (400 miles)

Gentlemen,
I have a DRZ400SM (2007) and am heading on a 400 mile road trip; next Monday...Have new tires, oil change and wonder if anyone has any advice. I've heard a sheepskin can help the ass...Anyone have good baggage ideas; I have a net and some bungee chords.

Armyman:hmmm:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Gentlemen,
I have a DRZ400SM (2007) and am heading on a 400 mile road trip; next Monday...Have new tires, oil change and wonder if anyone has any advice. I've heard a sheepskin can help the ass...Anyone have good baggage ideas; I have a net and some bungee chords.

Armyman:hmmm:
My last big trip was Europe, approx 2600 miles on ZX9R. 5 of us. Excellent! Kit wise.. Bum bag, great for toll change, papers, choccie bar etc. Invaluable IMO. I always use a decent rucksack with a body strap. Map!! if you don't have sat nav. Small first aid and tool kit, incl small chain lube, fuses, cable ties etc. Recovery card. I used a tank bag and a tail pack with the tent and bag strapped on. Halfords do small QR straps that are miles tighter and easier than flick in your eye bungees. Bulb kit (if you're abroad??) Ear plugs. List is endless mate :lol:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
As much as I love riding my street-tard, I take my RT on long rides. Nothing beats a bike built for soaking up the miles. Good luck riding a sumo on a two thousand mile trip. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I think he's doing 400 but yep, I'm off after 40 stretching the pins on my SM.
A few mates want to ride to Spain from the UK next summer which is around 1000miles each way. I've got no problem doing an oil change or two en route if need be.
If I was doing 1,000 miles each way I'd think twice about doing it on my sumo. :hmmm:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts