·
Registered
608 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Street Legaling

That's great!

Here in Hawaii our titles now state "rebuilt" on them for dirtbike conversions though my 2001 Honda CR500 street sumo does not.
Howzit! I'm also in Hawaii ! Whats the steps on getting my pitbike legal? I see some guys on the road with them and some street legaled 250f and 450's I stopped racing motocross in 07 and just wanna play on and offroad. I ordered my pitbike with all the lights flashers licence plate holder mirrors etc. Whats the exact steps needed to make it street legal here in hawaii?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Street Legaling HAWAII

That's great!

Here in Hawaii our titles now state "rebuilt" on them for dirtbike conversions though my 2001 Honda CR500 street sumo does not.
Howzit! I need help legalizing my 155z Pitbike here in Hawaii. Could you help me out and tell me the steps and proceedures to make it street legal? Please Help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Making it street legal

That's great!

I'm in Hawaii and I'm gonna be trying to street legal a fast pitbike. Could u tell me the exact steps I need to take to make it street legal? I already ordered it with everything to be street legal I just need the plate,registration, saftey etc.. I'd appreciate your help bro.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
722 Posts
california

anybody familiar w the new law that required a bike to have 7,500 miles if you want to bring it in from another state ??? know any loop holes around that. thinking of changing out the dash to a trailtech or vapor, tell them the original is gone... any thoughts ???? will ask in the husky forum also. ciao :hmmm::hmmm:

·
Registered
608 Posts
anybody familiar w the new law that required a bike to have 7,500 miles if you want to bring it in from another state ??? know any loop holes around that. thinking of changing out the dash to a trailtech or vapor, tell them the original is gone... any thoughts ???? will ask in the husky forum also. ciao :hmmm::hmmm:
I would buy a stock speedo with 7,500 or more miles.
Then after the state checks, switch back to the original and sell the one with all the miles.:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
I would buy a stock speedo with 7,500 or more miles.
Then after the state checks, switch back to the original and sell the one with all the miles.:thumbup:
The new WR450 claims that it is green sticker legal in Cali. Does that mean that it can be plated, or is that nothing new?

·
Registered
31 Posts
missouri wr450f

so as the issue goes, im having trouble trying to get this thing legal, all departments i talk to give me info such as filling out a form 551 (27.50) then having it inspected by hiway patrol and verifying it passes all requirments. so i called the hiway patrol to get a headstart and try to have the bike completely ready for inspection and they tell me it cant be done. does anyone have any info for missouri or any experience that i should try (steps) or do i just need to sell my wr450f and go get a ktm/husky/etc. factory sumo. i would prefer to keep my wr, i like it. the title i have is a california off highway title if that helps out. thanks guys, mike

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
so as the issue goes, im having trouble trying to get this thing legal, all departments i talk to give me info such as filling out a form 551 (27.50) then having it inspected by hiway patrol and verifying it passes all requirments. so i called the hiway patrol to get a headstart and try to have the bike completely ready for inspection and they tell me it cant be done. does anyone have any info for missouri or any experience that i should try (steps) or do i just need to sell my wr450f and go get a ktm/husky/etc. factory sumo. i would prefer to keep my wr, i like it. the title i have is a california off highway title if that helps out. thanks guys, mike
Are they going off the vin or the title as far as "can't be done"?

·
Registered
31 Posts
just got off the phone with them again and they are saying that they are "trying to clean up the streets" and that they got rid of the atvs with plates over the last few years and now they are working on off hiway use motorcycles that were plated. im going to try contacting other local branches in my area but if it continues to be a hassle i may have to postpone my dreams and possibly sell the bike. if i go that route, i will have a few extras to sell on here. as far as vin and title info....they didnt even bother to ask. just asking what type of vehicle and what type of title it is.

gotta love the govt.!!!!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I just plated an XR400R here in New MExico and can say it is easy and totally legal. The DMV form 10053 tells you everything you need and it is:

at least ONE Headlight, but not more than two (don't know how the harley and BMW guys get away with like three or five). It must have a high and low beam. Can be two one high and one low.

A horn that can be HEARD 100ft away.

Serviceable tyres, they do NOT require DOT by definition.

A muffler, but they state no DB level although they do state it has to have no holes in it.

A mirror that has a view of at least 100ft behind the bike. A tail light, and stop lamp activated by at least ONE brake.

they do NOT require blinkers but they are OK if you have them.

Speedo, and odometer. Can be any working speedo and odo. So I guess you can use your phone with the speedo odo app.

That is IT.

·
Registered
38 Posts
F Ca, love the state hate the politics red tape taxes etc glad I moved out.

MT is easy, self cert" disclaimer form, no inspection, life time permanent registration, no blinkers required, just reg'd my '3' in 8th pos' VIN 550 Berg

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was surprised to see the OP link requires insurance and reg for off-road in New Jersey, is that really correct? My husqvarna is still regged but I took it off insurance when I stopped street riding it. You're supposed to have insurance even if it only gets ridden at the track?

·
Registered
208 Posts
does anybody know if the state of cali. checks for emissions shit on the bike when i go take the driving skills test?? and has any body done this lately in cali.. thanks
Cali doesn't check anything when you do your driving/motorcycle test. If you do the safety course then all you have to do is a written test. All they checked on my WR when I imported it from Washington is if it had the emissions sticker. It didn't of course so I made an appointment with CHP for an equipment check - which I know it will pass.

·
Registered
722 Posts
chp will and or can look for the emissions sticker which on some bikes is either on the frame or under the seat. you might want to do a little homework before you take it down there....

·
Registered
785 Posts
2 things

One thing it doesnt mention is type of headlight and/or brake light. Are these even required? They dont mention them, at least in VA. And if they are...must they be DOT approved?
So, in my experience, only certain motorcycle shops who cater to racers are going to be aware of the "no headlight" law in VA. It's a weird one, but they only require a headlight for nighttime use. I'm guessing it's a really old law, but that's half of VA's laws anyway. They also don't require a front brake for bikes before 72 or something...

ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SUBJECT
Does anyone know if Colorado requires you to have a horn? I'm moving to Ouray, CO sometime this month and am curious as to what I need to do to get away with riding on the road. I've been riding where I am in UT with only head/tail lights and without any plate or anything since I stick to back roads and ride in a fairly empty county where I know half of the LE anyway. I even get waves from the rangers :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
help in Missouri?

does anyone know if there is a minimum(CC) for street legal dirt bikes in missouri?
I'm wanting to make a 1987 YZ80 into a supermoto and I know I need the headlight, taillight, horn but the signals and mirrors are the "if equipped from factory" category

I know next to nothing about bikes because this will be my first hands on build :anim_peep:

if I cant do it with a YZ80 there is a YZ250 for sale that I know should be street legal because of the South Dakota trick but its a bit more money and the wiring is all jacked up

--- Help me oh mighty moto junkies, teach me the ways of the brapapa :bowdown: ---

81 - 100 of 109 Posts