608 Posts
Anyone know requirements for MICHIGAN?
1-Headlight (high and low beams)
2-Tail light
3-Brake light
4-License plate light
5-Horn
6-Brakes, front and rear
7-Rear view mirror on left side (adjustable) Not required on vehicle if helmet has a mirror
8-Tires 1/32 inch tread, no exposed cord or tread separation, approved for highway use by D.O.T.)
9-Exhaust system (good working order, No excessive noise or annoying smoke)
10-Seat (permanently attached)
11-Handle bars (not higher than 15 inches from seat)

All info copied from
Michigan Department of State TR-54 (the form you need to have filled out to get a bike street legal)

Sicass Racing (located in Michigan) should be able to help you with the necessary parts.

Now get that thing legal :burnout:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just to add some info on CO.

You have to jump through a couple of hoops, but the process isn't too bad.

They even give me new plates for a little over $3 when mine fall off in the mud.

·
Registered
608 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just an update for PA folks on my plate process. (Pittsburgh)

I have a 2003 wr450f. I am transferring the title over from west virginia and it was never street legal and still isn't. I took my notarized bill of sale and my title (that was still in the previous owners name) out to the notary yesterday. The owner told me that they could not verify motorcycle vin numbers. I got a new sheet of paper that needs to be taken to an inspection station where they just need to verify the vin and sign the paper. After the paper is signed i take the forms back to the notary with proof of insurance and they will issue me a street legal title and a plate. Make notice that the bike is 100% dirtbike at this point. Once i get my plate and insurance i will put the money in to get the bike street legal. Then just inspect and hit the road. I just wanted to make sure i got all the paper work done before i dropped the $1500 into the conversion and so well it is working out great :thumbup:

It isn't impossible in PA to complete a sumo. If anybody wants more info just let me know.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Update

I got my insurance policy and plate and my title should be coming in a few days. My wr450 is one step closer to being street legal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking to convert my YZ250f dirtbike that i use to race motocross with here in Ohio into a street legal supermoto bike. I was wondering if anyone on here knows the minimum requirements for that here in the state of ohio and what all i would have to go through with the title and what not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please help goin nuts

Hi my name is mark allen I reside in md. I ride a 07 crf 250....I have recently converted to dualsport after asking my dmv what was required. I was told all I needed was the mso or title and a n inspection. So I come back then weeks later with an inspection from twigg cycles of hagerstown,md and iam told we cannot title this bike for street due to it being branded as orv. So I stir up a lot crap about there clerk telling me I could do the conversion with the required documents. So with this said it has been researched for the last 2 months and finally the main titling lady rhonda witt at the glen burnie dmv, the attorney general, and msp captain I guess off the inspection garage of glen burie came to an agreement that they would need to forms from me...one stating that pretty much the mva is not liable of the motorcycle and the other form for twiggs to certify that the bike meets..f.m.v.s.s. I know its bull because that is virtually impossible for them to do such a thing. But yet the state and mva still have yet to present me with the laws stating that this process of converting a dirtbike for street use is not legal as I have done my research and cannot find a law. So does anyone have any suggestions on how can I still get this bike titled and tagged in other states? I do like the f.m.v.s.s. plate that was made on here I seen...I would like to purchase one if all possible? Maybe that could help me to get a title? Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the same bike would also like to get street title

Hi my name is mark allen I reside in md. I ride a 07 crf 250....I have recently converted to dualsport after asking my dmv what was required. I was told all I needed was the mso or title and a n inspection. So I come back then weeks later with an inspection from twigg cycles of hagerstown,md and iam told we cannot title this bike for street due to it being branded as orv. So I stir up a lot crap about there clerk telling me I could do the conversion with the required documents. So with this said it has been researched for the last 2 months and finally the main titling lady rhonda witt at the glen burnie dmv, the attorney general, and msp captain I guess off the inspection garage of glen burie came to an agreement that they would need to forms from me...one stating that pretty much the mva is not liable of the motorcycle and the other form for twiggs to certify that the bike meets..f.m.v.s.s. I know its bull because that is virtually impossible for them to do such a thing. But yet the state and mva still have yet to present me with the laws stating that this process of converting a dirtbike for street use is not legal as I have done my research and cannot find a law. So does anyone have any suggestions on how can I still get this bike titled and tagged in other states? I do like the f.m.v.s.s. plate that was made on here I seen...I would like to purchase one if all possible? Maybe that could help me to get a title? Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
19 Posts
street legal-saftey, MTO, blue plates, very easy!

I live in Ontairo , Canada, just east of Toronto.
Bought a 04 WR450 with green trail plates, bought a dual sport Tusk enduro kit, put signal, horn, 1 mirror, and working brake lights on, very easy install! Light are super bright, but still tini LEDs so you can barely even notice them on the bike.

Got a safety

went to MTO, asked for blue plates, they told me they were going to have to switch my ownership and made me sign some paper, I payed around 60 bucks and walked out with blue street legal plates and stickers. Took about 5 mins

Got insurance, and my WR is a street legal dirt bike.....nothing more fun on the street!

As far as I know, anything up to 2007 can be done like this as long as it had the required signal, lights, etc. A 2008 dirbike and newer canNOT be made street legal due to some new laws etc....

·
Registered
722 Posts
I live in Ontairo , Canada, just east of Toronto.
Bought a 04 WR450 with green trail plates, bought a dual sport Tusk enduro kit, put signal, horn, 1 mirror, and working brake lights on, very easy install! Light are super bright, but still tini LEDs so you can barely even notice them on the bike.

Got a safety

went to MTO, asked for blue plates, they told me they were going to have to switch my ownership and made me sign some paper, I payed around 60 bucks and walked out with blue street legal plates and stickers. Took about 5 mins

Got insurance, and my WR is a street legal dirt bike.....nothing more fun on the street!

As far as I know, anything up to 2007 can be done like this as long as it had the required signal, lights, etc. A 2008 dirbike and newer canNOT be made street legal due to some new laws etc....
I think your wrong. You got this bike on the road because it is a 'WR', if it was a 'YZF', you would only get it on the road if it had somehow already been street legal, before that law was passed, or someone goofs up and lets it through. Otherwise Id like to see the build, what city did you do this in?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just did all this like a month ago, no problem in Toronto.

I had a trail plate at first, then got a safety and went to the MTO, left with a blue plate. WR stock has a headlight and tail light, YZF does not. Some bikes maybe able to be made street legal, some may not...all I know is my WR has blue plates, insurance and a sticker, and all other legal requierment to drive in ONT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys first post , if someone could help me out
With my question for pa req ... I'm really interested in these hardknock bobbers , there are some that are actully a full size bike and some are little bit smaller ( most are 200cc -250cc) . But anyways , on the manufacturers website ( there are multiple I know ) but they say there not street legal in pa nj and ca but I just don't understand why and I cannot get a solid answear why , if they aren't what needs to be changed . I know these are Chinese bikes but hey they look cool as hell just as a cruiser around town . If any one could help me out that know pa laws more than I do I'd appreciate it alot ! Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
i have 1996 honda cr500r i live in NC, when i got the bike it was all ready converted for street , the person i got it from was not using it on the street and did not have the title for it, so i got the DMV to run the VIN and it had been previously titled in nc back in 2010, but they could not give me any contact info for the person whose name the title was in, so.. i was told i could get a bond for a new title and get it plated that way, so i called the DMV they said it has to be inspected by a NC license and theft inspector in order to get this bond i need, so .. i take the bike to get inspected and the inspector tells me he can not pass it without a manufacturer decal saying it is a highway use motorcycle, so.. i called the inspectors supervisor and he tells me that if a decal is not present on the bike they would accept a letter from the manufacturer stating that the bike is intended for highway use. has anyone else ever had this problem ?????
they are telling me the only way i can get this bike plated is to somehow find the person who has the title in their name and get them to sign it over to me :damn::damn::damn::damn::damn: somebody please help me this is my dream bike and its killing me not being able to ride it

·
Registered
13 Posts
massachusetts is kinda gay

So from what i have been able to figure out, its damn near impossible to plate an off road use dirt bike in mass for street use. I have read that even if you live out of state, you can still reg and plate a dirt bike in Vermont so long as you maintain the yearly state inspection. ALSO, i have heard that if i get "caught" doing this i can be fined for "evading" Massachusetts sales tax and blah blah. So it's legal to register a bike in Vermont even if you don't live there, according to Vermont's laws but, i can be fined in Mass for doing this? My head is a pretzel. Maybe I will just sign it over to my brother in law in NH and have it registered and titled in his name.

Another question which is related. Anyone who rides a 250 2 stroke on the street, do the cops actually take notice and pull you over? If you aren't speeding, doing wheelies or anything accept just riding legally, do cops tend to leave you alone? I have a hard time believing that, if i had a 250 2 stroke on the streets in my city in Mass, with NH plates and i was driving like every other motorcycle and car out there that the cops would even consider giving me a hard time.

I had a 67' mustang in high school with a BUILT engine that was so loud it set off car alarms in parking lots. The car was obviously very fast, especially for a high school kid to be cruising around in. I drove it the speed limit, nothing crazy. I never got a second look from a cop the whole 5 years i had that car. Would they really give two craps about a little 250 2 stroke sumo on back roads?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Would they really give two craps about a little 250 2 stroke sumo on back roads?
I was talking to my nephew (a cop) about mounting the license plate to the back of the air box on my SM. He told me that most cops would not give a "dirt bike" a second look, they are more concerned about the guys on the "rice rockets".

·
Registered
6 Posts
So i live in alabama and the only requirements on the AMA website are a modulating head light, and one mirror? So basically i could slap on a head light, mirror, and be good to go? I imagine i would need a break light though yes or no? If that's all i need i'll be ecstatic:bannana:

61 - 80 of 109 Posts