SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
This is awesome for South Carolina!

Radar Detector---------No Restriction
Turn Signals------------Not Required
Muffler-----------------No acoustical criteria.
Maximum Sound Level---No acoustical criteria.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Id like to add Ontario

If you live here: You can get your Off Road bike on the street these ways.

If the bike was Blue Plated (street plate) before Novemeber 2007 then your bike is forever street plated.

If your bike is offroad only, you can take a chance, you say you have a 'custom motorcycle' try and go that route, I dont know if it works but someone on here said they put all the stuff on the bike that is required (lights,horn,etc) Took it to Crappy Tire and they saftied it for the road because they basically check to make sure your blinkers and brake lights work. And then apparently you get them to sign a affidavit saying it has all the street legal requirements like lights and such, take that to the DMV or MTO whoever: I dont know if this works but I heard it could.

The other way is to buy a bike that is sold has road legal from a dealer like a EXC KTM, or WR250X/R

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hawaii has a catch-22 that sounds similar to PA.
I'm a cop, so I know the traffic code pretty well here, and have al the copies of the various laws easily accessible. Hawaii itself does not require turn signals unless the vehicle in question is over 24" fromthe center of the steering column to the outside edge of the vehicle. Unless you've got REALLY wide handlebars, motorcycles aren't this wide. In the Honolulu city ordinances, it states motorcycles MAY be equipped with turn signals, clearance lights, etc. The word MAY means optional.
Here's the weird part - in order for you to register your vehicle every year, you must pass what's called a "safety inspection". If you don't have the safety inspection, you can't renew your registration - period. Now, the screwed up thing, which is what might be happening in PA, is that instead of following state law, the inspection stations are given a copy of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards ( FMVSS) to use to determine if a vehicle pases inspection. The FMVSS state all motorcycles must have turn signals. What most people don't realize is the FMVSS are federal laws that ONLY apply to manufactures and dealers as far as how a vehicle must be SOLD in the United States. What makes a vehicle legal for use on a public roadway is the domain of each individual state. Unfortunately, trying to convince the brainwashed inspection people of this, even when showing them the laws in black and white, is a total waste of time.
So the solution in Hawaii, and maybe in PA, is to mount turn signals (i use an led setup powered by AA batteries) temporarily to get your inspection, then just take them off afterwards. As long as your state law doesn't require them, you can't get a ticket for not having them. Actually you might get a ticket if the officer isn't familiar with how this works. It may be a good idea to print out a copy of your state law showing turn signals aren't required, in case you get stopped, because there are actually many police officers out there that don't know turn signals aren't required in every state. But even if you get a ticket, you should be able to win in court easily.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not exactly,, Pa has its own regs and regulations and is rather tight on the inspection and PA vehicle code laws.. Yes you DO need turn signals if your bike was made since 1974.. The no signal falls under the harley clauses.. It was "if the vehicle was not manufactured with turn signals it does not need them".. The issue here is that applies to vehicle that were built FOR the road.. not converting TO the road.. I'm also an insp tech and have been dealing with this for years..Not hard to do just more than a simple headlight taillight thing.. I've DS several bikes,, KTM 300exc, KDX 200's(4 of them) 3 GasGas 250ec's and helped several others.. And just because you need them on for insp. does not mean you have to keep them on,, but remember johnny law might come knocking on your door if you dont have them..
They are there to protect the helmet-less(read organ donor)

·
Registered
58 Posts
They are required for a modified title. I used the tag setup from Motosport Outlet.
By law they are supposed to be 14 inches apart. But I havent had any problems with the cops. The LED signals are very bright even in daylight. The tail light is from Baja Designs also LED.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hell, I have e-marked LED mini stalk signals mounted in the stock locations and they're only about 12" apart.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You are lucky,, and the leo's down by you have more important work to do than vehicle code crap.. up by me they are bored,, they even pull me over for no doors on my jeep wrangler.. which is a grey area at best.. I saw some very small led turn signals a while back on a buddies bike.. They had like 3 led's in them, shaped like a small triangle scoop.. fit perfect on the side of the taillight holder on his ktm 450.. and in fact looked almost factory as that year had the funky shaped taillight..
I'll see if I can find a picture..
But,, in the end you do need turn signals,, even if they arent quite up to code as long as they are there and work from what I've found.. I dont do inspections anylonger as I dont work in a shop that does bikes... I miss spring bike inspection time.. got to ride so many different bikes.. and not have to pay for any of them....
My favorite customer had a Canadian version of the RZ 500,, 2stroke 3cyl, street bike.. least favorite was this old 70's something norton.. looked cool as hell.. but the foot controls were on the wrong sides?? I almost crashed it trying to leave the parking lot..

·
Registered
247 Posts
Anyone in here from NC that has plated their ORV bike to a street bike title? just wondering bc i have a race sm that is begging me to take her to the street.

Any info will help :cheers:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You are lucky,, and the leo's down by you have more important work to do than vehicle code crap.. up by me they are bored,, they even pull me over for no doors on my jeep wrangler.. which is a grey area at best.. I saw some very small led turn signals a while back on a buddies bike.. They had like 3 led's in them, shaped like a small triangle scoop.. fit perfect on the side of the taillight holder on his ktm 450.. and in fact looked almost factory as that year had the funky shaped taillight..
I'll see if I can find a picture..
But,, in the end you do need turn signals,, even if they arent quite up to code as long as they are there and work from what I've found.. I dont do inspections anylonger as I dont work in a shop that does bikes... I miss spring bike inspection time.. got to ride so many different bikes.. and not have to pay for any of them....
My favorite customer had a Canadian version of the RZ 500,, 2stroke 3cyl, street bike.. least favorite was this old 70's something norton.. looked cool as hell.. but the foot controls were on the wrong sides?? I almost crashed it trying to leave the parking lot..
I don't think I've had the doors on my Wrangler in years, and I don't get a passing glance from cops here. I did get a woman in the drive thru at McDonald's ask me if I was worried about falling out though.:lol:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Cruisin - I amtotally unfamiliar with Pa laws, so I will defer to you. However, my point I gues I was trying to make was that some inspectors will try to tell people that there is a Federal Law that requires motorcycles in all states to have turn signals since a certain date. This is not true, and they are misinformed if they think so. Sometmes with the various goverment entities, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Move to Arizona. Take your title to the DMV, pay 35 bucks and get your plate. Go home slap on a headlight and tail/ brake light, also a small battery powered horn if you want and a mirror. Next thing you know your jumping staircases in front of the high schools!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Move to Arizona. Take your title to the DMV, pay 35 bucks and get your plate. Go home slap on a headlight and tail/ brake light, also a small battery powered horn if you want and a mirror. Next thing you know your jumping staircases in front of the high schools!
shhhhhhhh we dont want the politicians to know what we do:headshake

1 - 20 of 109 Posts