SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I have a 2006 ktm 525 exc I'd like to race in super moto. I'm told their is a number of restrictions and sensors for emissions that would impede performance for racing. Before I tear the bike down looking for them does someone happen to know where they would be that would be appreciated :D

Thanks !

·
6,598 Posts
sensors? except for the pickup on the ignition and the TPS on the carb there isn't another sensor on that bike.

all they did to restrict an RFS EXC was insert a throttle stop, and chances are slim that's still in place. otherwise there's nothing holding that bike back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! Thanks! I was also told there was a baffle in the exhaust I could remove? Are there any other things like that? And the throttle stop would prevent full rotation then I take it? If thats the case pretty sure it's removed.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
357ktm, welcome to the forum. Don't want to come off sounding like a mean spirited person, but. By the type of questions you're asking I can tell that the 525 is way over your skill set to be worried about more ponies. Fact of the matter it is way over my skill set. Best thing is an advanced riding course or some supermoto specific coaching. And yes it did come with a forestry approved spark arrestor stuffed up the tail pipe. As with the throttle stop most of them have been removed. Just shine a flashlight down the exhaust, if you see a screen it is indeed still there.

Again I don't intend to be mean. And after the throttle stop is removed, and the air box cover is modified,the only true HP gains, the SAS, evap system and pipe will net you only minor gains.

The best HP gains are almost free in most cases. You can grind off the throttle stop. You can take a hole sow to open the air box up and remove the spark arrestor. See cheap.

The SAS does nothing for performance per sé, saves some weight.

On a KTM the best exhaust you can buy might net 2-3 ponies, but save you a ton in weight. Both on the bike and the wallet.

We must...We must...increase our boost

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Judge much?

Just because someone isn't familiar with a particular bike doesn't mean they don't know how to ride. I was asking about because I thought maybe someone who knows these 525s may know of certain restrictions electronic or mechanical that decrease the power

Thanks for the input all! Found some interesting info on carb tunning aswell. Will post soon.

Here's also the stock dyno run... Only 35hp! :0 http://www.pbase.com/jdjetting1/image/75600898

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Yes, I do in fact judge much. No I never said you couldn't ride. 35 horsepower is the USA EPA version, throttle stop, SAS, spark arrestor, closed air box (for EPA noise regulations) and a leaned out to the max AFR. Most throttle stops were removed by the dealers pre-delivery or at the first service. Most buyers ripped the SAS off and poked holes in their shiny new scoot first chance they got and re-jetted to compensate. All this is not specific to KTM, just about every dirt bike (supermoto) falls into this process.

On your linked dyno graph they obviously installed a jet kit and air screw and removed the spark arrestor, this is their 10HP gain.

You said that you believed the throttle stop to be removed, likely that is true.

That being said, whether it puts out 45HP, 50HP or 60HP it is a handful. And HP doesn't make you faster or win more races, ability makes you faster and win more races. Again I'm not saying you can't ride or lack ability but the more track time nets better lap times. Practice Practice Practice is not just an adage. McAllister riding a DRZ400sm could beat about 90% of SM racers.

There is a reason why 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times have been stagnant for 25 years all the while HP numbers keep rising, a production bike will only accelerate so fast. Even with electronic intervention.

As a side note, the TPS when unplugged sets the default spark advance on full advance through the entire rev range. No HP gain, might hurt the bottom numbers slightly.

Now that said. Do you really want to know how to be fast on the track? Braking correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wise words!

Thank you so much for the advice!

I'm new to supermoto but not to racing totally agree about what it takes to use proper racing lines and braking technique to maintain speed and to be smooth. That's what will win races for sure!

However it is hard when buddy pulls away on a straight away with a decked out smr and I have a stock exc :p. I figured there must be something I could do!

Already removed the sas. Wow that thing is restricting! Going to check the carb out next to check and see. When you say unplug the TPS and it will advance the time across the whole range that would be beneficial at higher rpm but obviously hurt lower due to poor timing. Has anyone ever tried that and have it work for them?

Thanks again

Cheers

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Most people will unplug the TPS, stops the notorious surging at constant throttle on the highway, as the CDI searches for the proper advancement. Mine was unplugged when I bought it, plugged it in just for personal reference. No noticeable difference to me, but who chugs around. If your motor is healthy, with standard mods 50HP should be attainable. And gearing plays a big role in acceleration.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the European version of the 525.

What i did is i installed a silencer from a newer exc (+08 model, 530) which made notable difference! After that i did the bk-mod and o-ring mod to my FCR carb en rejetted, this made a major difference!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts