SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too keep from melting.

I made a bracket to mount the blinkers, its 1.5" aluminum. If you remove the rear tail light, there is plenty of cable to move the blinkers.

Guess i'll just step through the pics and give some comment.

Bracket I made, later painted, notice that there is two holes where the turn signal mounts, this is because the stock signal has a guide piece of plastic that will fit in the outer hole:

Tail light moved to the side to show connectors

Bracket and lights mounted:

Sideview of bracket and right light:

Clearance of signal and exhaust, plenty of room now:

Pics of finished product:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i want to ride, i didn't modify anything factory, no holes drilled, nothing, if they come up with a fix, which they would have to relocate or new signals, then i can go that way, but I wouldn't expect anything to happen quick

·
Registered
728 Posts
yea i hear ya. mine are holding up good so far with the heat tape. i'm gonna wait and see what happens. i might do the euro tail section. and i'm not sure where my new exhaust will end up being in relation to the signals. even if i get the euro tail section i still want the signals pretty much where they are. so, like i said i have no idea whats going to happen right now. right now i am just riding and enjoying. :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had super thick heat tape, the insulated kind, even under the tape the plastic was melting, so be careful, there is alot of heat, so you may have melting going on under the tape

·
Registered
728 Posts
nah, i took the heat tape off once already to replace it with new clean heat tape(that wasn't turned black from exhaust sut) and there was no damage to the back of the signal and just a slight little bit of melting on the bottom of the clear lens. once i get my new exhaust i plan to warranty my signal and get a new fresh one and hopefully be done with this problem.

i do like what you did though. not a bad idea, and like you said, nothing permanent.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You made the bracket?

Mine came with a very similar looking bracket that holds the license plate and side reflectors. Nonetheless, good idea.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, i made the bracket, i took off that big ugly bracket that came on it, would put the signals way out to the sides

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, considering it only has 9 miles on it, give it time and it will be peeling off the edges, i don't have it registered yet, so i took the plates off my GSXR1000 last night for the 9 mile ride around the neighborhood....

·
Registered
728 Posts
yeah, considering it only has 9 miles on it, give it time and it will be peeling off the edges, i don't have it registered yet, so i took the plates off my GSXR1000 last night for the 9 mile ride around the neighborhood....
nice. i got almost 700 miles on mine and the left side is real close to the edge... i still need to work on the right side. the tires are showing no wear though so far. but i don't do burnouts or even accelerate from a dead stop very quickly. i am pretty easy on tires. i expect 2 - 2.5k easily out of these tires the way i ride(considering they are race tires that don't even say "DOT" on them).

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, it will only take me one ride to get out and scrub right to the edges, but i've got some health issues right now, herniated disk on C5/C6 in my spine/neck, so i have numbness from my neck almost all the way down my shoulder and weakness in my right side that the MRI shows lesions in my brain and one on my spinal cord, indicating MS, I did a lumbar puncture last thursday to take spinal fluid to verify levels vs my blood and see if i really have MS...i have most of the coordination back in my right side, but the neck problem is the hard part, i moved in my brake lever after last nights ride to be able to pull easier for my small hands....so hope to get out this weekend for a good scrub in ride

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ran the bike around for awhile tonight, no heat on the turn signal, so all is good

·
Registered
275 Posts
I did your mod to my bike :thumbup: I used the goofy lookin reflector thingy instead. Mine came out decent looking. Only bad thing that on the ride home from the dealers it the siginal started to melt. I used some heat tape but about 20 min into the ride I could smell plastic melting....

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
189 Posts
Too keep from melting.

I made a bracket to mount the blinkers, its 1.5" aluminum. If you remove the rear tail light, there is plenty of cable to move the blinkers.

Guess i'll just step through the pics and give some comment.

Bracket I made, later painted, notice that there is two holes where the turn signal mounts, this is because the stock signal has a guide piece of plastic that will fit in the outer hole:
Great and easy fix! Why in the hell didn't KTM do something this simple?

Awesome Job!:thumbup::clap:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts