SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Looks good, the bubbling could be humidity, contaminates or a lack of adhesion. I couldnt tell if you scuffed up the helmet with 400 grit or similar but if you do that and apply spray can adhesion promotor it will never flake or peal.

·
Registered
313 Posts
ever talked to an engineer at any of the manufacturers?
any real experience spraying paint?

i have on both counts.

here's the easy test, one month from now take the helmet in your hands, and try to squish it together where the chin straps are attached. Then do the same with a helmet of the same type that hasnt been painted. The painted one will be softer.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
ever talked to an engineer at any of the manufacturers?
any real experience spraying paint?

i have on both counts.

here's the easy test, one month from now take the helmet in your hands, and try to squish it together where the chin straps are attached. Then do the same with a helmet of the same type that hasnt been painted. The painted one will be softer.
Just did it, no difference. I painted mine a year ago. Paint held up well on mine minus the spot where I dragged my head across the pavement once

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just did it, no difference. I painted mine a year ago. Paint held up well on mine minus the spot where I dragged my head across the pavement once
You're lucky, on both counts. lol

The reality is that it depends on the paint/primer, as well as the shell type/material. It can significantly compromise the integrity of the shell, or it may have no effect, or somewhere in between. Worth the risk, not for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
if a helmet is painted from factory and you sand it down lightly then paint with same type of paint how will it effect the shells construction? If you sand right through the factory clear coat and down to the helmets shell material then yes the paint will effect it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts