SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im looking at getting my first 450cc bike and I want it for racing SM. Im living in Thailand and have a good choice of 450 mx bikes to convert. Im only interested in jap bikes. Im looking for the most reliable bike not the fastest. I have seen there are lots of posts for the most reliable MX bikes (yamaha) but there doesnt seem to be much mentioned on their reliability once converted to supermoto.
Im going to be buying second hand and then convert to SM after probably a 2008/2009.

So what do you guys think is a good choice for track use? with reliability in mind :D

:thumbup:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Trail versions of the mx bikes is your best bet like mentioned above. Stuff like the crf450x or the wr450f will be a little less maintenance intensive.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Go to the yamaha and honda picture threads and see how many old thumpers are still out there. A ton of old yz's and wr400's/426's450's. They hold up well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the heads up guys :thumbup:

what would you guys consider as the most reliable MX bike ? just MX'ers not trail versions. Iv heard good things about the yz's

I guess its blue vs red then !

:hmmm:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I would go blue but I'm a little biased. Seems there's more old yammy yz/wr's with Honda a close second. I like the yamaha engines better, they go forever without valve adjusts. You cant go wrong with either. It depends on what kind of racing you're doing too. On tight tracks the mx bikes would be best but the trail versions WILL be more reliable and have a wider ratio tranny for faster sections. Plus they'll have electric start, which is nice

·
Registered
727 Posts
I race a Honda CRF450R it's great but requires a fair bit of maintenence.

Don't get me wrong, the bike is amazing... But it's built for power not longevity.

That's not to say that it's not reliable, just that you have to maintain the snot out of them to keep them reliable. The valves are the guilty party here, they wear into the head fairly quickly and require lots of shimming and seat cutting/grinding.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers guys problem is that im in Thailand and with the crazy high import duty here the trail versions like the WR are hard to find and over priced, I seem to be left with either the YZF or the CRF :headscrat

Really stuck between the two but reliablility is key for me here. Can anyone else shed some light here ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd go yz as not to have to deal with the valves of the crf.

thanks man just what I wanted to hear looking at getting a yz 09 for a sweet price but i know they updated in 2010 :hmmm:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts