SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this has happened to me twice. once with about 3k miles on my stock chain and sprocket. i just pulled the bolts, red loctited them and put them back on. everything was good. i since put on a kush rear sprocket, new EK chain, and new front sprocket all at the same time. the kush rear calls for the flush bolts so i got a little kit with the bolts, LOCKnuts, and washers. i red loctitied everything on. yesterday i was doing the normal walk around on the bike and noticed all the sprocket bolts had come loose again.
WTF? red loctite AND locknuts. this shouldnt happen. any one else have this? its not like my wr-x has a ton of power....

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
on some bikes it can be a bit of a mystery.

I never had a bolt come undone on my old 530 eventhough it made big power and I ran the wheels for long periodes of time without touching the sprocket. those bolts were just tightened down. no locknuts or loctite involved, just tightened down as much as I could go. wheels have done 20k miles and I never had an issue.

buddy with an 450 smr managed to lose 4 of the 6 bolts on his sprocket in a short amount of time and those had locknuts and blue loctite added to them. I installed the sprockets and chain on his bike so don't ask me how stuff came undone on his bike and on mine it stays put with less preventive measures to coming undone :headscrat was starting to doubt myself but my buddy said he double checked everything after I put his new parts on and confirmed it was all tightened down properly. both bikes had seen simular use, pretty much just track. his wheels weren't that old either and he never had a bolt come undone before so chances are small the holes were ovalized.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
It could be many things but --Low quality bolts or nuts can cause this --
Chines are dumping Low quality bolts on the market --
I saw a TV news show about it --even the US military is having
problems with Low Quality bolts from china used on there gear-

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
After thinking about this for a while, I also got to thinking about possible cheezy ass inferior bolts. It's a logical explanation.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first set was the button heads that came on the bike. This set is a protaper kit. I guess I'll try some genuine yamaha ones for a yz or something

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It could be many things but --Low quality bolts or nuts can cause this --
Chines are dumping Low quality bolts on the market --
I saw a TV news show about it --even the US military is having
problems with Low Quality bolts from china used on there gear-
this guy speaks the truth... all though im not sure where a few bolts or nuts came from we have had to do numerous inspections for sub par hardware in the Air Force world.

z

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I've had the same problem on my SXV where twice I've found them loose even after loctite after the first find. It's just been added to my pre-ride check list.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Raised the same a few days ago. Think in my case it was the PC'd that did it. I'm hopefully getting the wheel back today, sleeved, and I'll post some pics.

Normally HT fixings are graded on the head. My OE Husky things have nothing and the allen sockets show sign of leverage which they shouldn't. Prob is finding HT bolts the right length with the correct csk and unthreaded portion of shank on them.

I'm getting my Talon sprocket machined out a fraction so the head sit tighter IN the sprocket, rather than on the lip of the csk as is.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/show...arrier-holes-wearing-after-powder-coating-hub..

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
yea i had this happen once after my dealer installed a sprocket for me( it was in for a new rear tire other wise i would have done it myself) ever since the first time it happened they come loose more and more often sooo im pretty sure that whole oval hole theory is dead on....ive added it to my pre ride checklist but im sooner or later im deff going to need a new hub.

btw lock washers have been proven to be worthless ive seen the numbers on a torque wrench that it takes to remove a bolt tightend to the same spec with and without a lock washer and its actually less.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah, the Chicoms are counterfeiting premium grade bolts made with inferior boron steel. These are the kind of things that cause bridges to fail and airplanes to fall out of the sky.

·
Registered
849 Posts
1 week later, came loose again. i guess i need a new hub?
Take it to a precision engineers. Ream the holes out and press fit SS sleeves:

Also got the sprocket machined to accept the csk of the sprocket bolts fully.

Gave it some real abuse last weekend and checked, all good.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You know how the screw heads taper so they will fit flush onto the sprocket? That can cause false torque readings on a torque wrench

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mate, just check out any precision engineering machine shop near you. Print my pics if it helps and let them know what you need. It'll save you a bunch of money.
yeah. theres only one around, and theyre HIGH. i can get a new hub for 100$ and the yamaha shop will charge 2 hrs to swap it out. doesnt seem too unreasonable. (ive never respoked and trued a wheel before.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts