SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 smr510 and I've never changed the oil on the rear shock. I've got the suspension linkage all pulled apart to re-lube the bearings. So naturally, I have the rear shock off of the bike. I'm wondering whether I should change the oil in it now. Also how difficult it is to do? Anybody done this before?

(By the way, if you have never lubed the needle bearings in the swingarm, and shock linkage, I highly recommend it. A few of them have already started to rust.)

·
Registered
444 Posts
This isn't a "do it yourself" service. I'd wait till the season is over and send it to a suspension pro to have it re-built.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
This isn't a "do it yourself" service. I'd wait till the season is over and send it to a suspension pro to have it re-built.
+1.....I will put new fork seals on a bike, but that's where I draw the line. Best to send it to Dave at Fastbikeindustries for a proper rebuild:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
^^^^ + 1 The only person I will let touch my suspension.

·
Registered
530 Posts
you guys are pusses if you cant rebuild a rear shock.. takes about an hour after the shock is off the bike.. you will be lookin at 20 bucks for nitrogen charge.. and whatever seals you replace... if just changing ur oil... alot easier...but biggest problem people have is trappping air.. adjustments will have to be backed all the way out to allow all areas to fill with oil..

·
Registered
530 Posts
rebuild for anyone... but gonna have it tweaked and what not just pay someone a weeks'
pay..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The seals aren't leaky and the shock is already professionally dialed in (but still stock).

I'm just seeing this as an opportunity to replace the oil now that its off the bike. But with the $20 nitrogen charge, it doesn't sound like its worth it just to change the oil.

Do you recommend just waiting till I get a tear? I'm no expert so I don't really know how beat up this oil will be after 4 years...

·
Registered
66 Posts
i find the rear shock easier to work on than the front end.
saying that after u have done it once its simple after that,
shortened my 08 by 15mm
i think no bladder make it easier to work on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts