SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there- I've got a '07 YZ450F that I use as my woods / desert / dunes / supermoto bike. I'd like to lower the rear about an inch for supermoto, but keep it stock height for everything else.

My options are...

(A) Adding a ride height adjuster like this http://durelleracing.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=98 and a quick and easy preload adjuster like this http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Reviews/News/MOTOCROSS-ACTION-PRODUCT-TEST-XTRIG-PRELOAD-ADJUST-7346.aspx to the stock shock.

(B) Buying a used shock off of ebay and getting it shortened and revalved for SM.

(C) Crap man, just give up and buy another bike already!

I'm guessing that (A) or (B) will cost about $400. Option (A) is probably easier to change between SM and stock, but adds a bunch of non factory components (which are rarely as durable as stock components). Option (B) keeps things mostly stock but will probably take a few minutes longer to complete the conversion. Option (C) is the real answer, but I'm trying to get things out of my garage, not into it :thumbup:

I'm happy with my stock valving for SM, as long as the clickers and preload are cranked way down. Could very well be a case of not knowing what I'm missing though.

Who's faced this dilemma before? What did you do?

Thanks, Miles

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I'm happy with my stock valving for SM, as long as the clickers and preload are cranked way down. Could very well be a case of not knowing what I'm missing though.
Yes! :D I used to crank all my clickers almost all the way down, thinking it was an OK way to stiffen up the suspension. But after a professional suspension guy I know and trust was explaining how it all works... ideally you want your clickers to be in the mid-range of adjustment for the internal stuff to work correctly. I can't really explain it in technical terms. :lol:

I would get another shock to swap out. :thumbup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts