SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like the looks of the big rounded factory rear fender on the 2004 625 SMC. I'd like to replace it with a shorter, more angular motocross piece similar to what you see on the '05-'06 SMCs or the '04 SMR or EXC models.

I know the subframes are different between the years and models, but is this possible? If so, who has done it? Please post pictures and info/part numbers.

Example:
The picture below shows a bike with the type of fender I'm thinking about. I know it isn't a SMC, but it has similar looking side plastic. Whos's bike is it? What model? Will the plastic fit on an '04 SMC?

P.S. What tires are those?

Thanks,
-Banning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im putting 06 plastics on my 01 lc4 640. I chopped the subframe and part of the stock rear fender to fit in where the seat connects to it. Also had to cut off some of the mounts on the subframe for the stock plastics and drill and tap a few holes to mount new plastics, it seems tough but was reletively easy. Im not quite done yet..Im going to cut the left side of my air-box out so i can hang a k&n filter out in there, possibly out the side. Im still looking for a new exhaust that will look better than the ktm race pipe that i have..also the 06 number plates are not quite as wide as the stock so a carbon pipe is what im thinking of using so it doesn't melt the plastic. Just some idea's anyone have any ideas? Ill post the new pictures asap but here are some with the stock subframe when i was working on mocking everything up..

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks very nice wopachop. Have any other pictures? How do you think it would look with the stock exhaust canister?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sunofnun: Did you finish the install? Have any pics you can post up?

I really like the shape of the carbon rear fender, but wish it was in plain black. The KTM fender is shaped differently. I've searched quite a bit for another and have found nothing. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
1,229 Posts
sunofnun: Did you finish the install? Have any pics you can post up?

I really like the shape of the carbon rear fender, but wish it was in plain black. The KTM fender is shaped differently. I've searched quite a bit for another and have found nothing. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
have been working on it (and other stuff) for the last couple weeks.. I'll document all the work w/pics and post up as soon as I'm done!

·
1,229 Posts
anyone try to mod the 05+ rear section to an 04 subframe.

pics?
you can buy the 05 subframe and all the hardware. but it gets spendy..

sub frame
new tail/blinkers
mounting hardware
plastic
seat

cheaper to get a 660sm stock fender (in whatever color.. ) then change up the brake light.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got pretty tired of the look of the rear on my '04 too. I tried to order the '05 subframe, seat, airbox, etc but it started to get ridiculously expensive and alot of parts like the seat and airbox were backordered.

SO I went after the muffler first and hacked the front part off so that its now just straight (no sound or performance affect). Better. Then I took a utility knife and chopped up the side panels and rear fender. I even wet-sanded the edges that I cut. Nice. Then I found an LED tail light at the bikeshop and bolted that on to the subframe along with the stock turn signals and the licence plate. I think it looks way better now.....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts