SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I've recently got a 2013 wr450 I'm converting and I had a question about my rear brake. I recently installed the Baja designs brake switch and bled the breaks. They were working fine. Then yesterday I was getting my friend to hold a lot of pressure on the brake so I could remove my front sprocket. The brakes weren't holding well then just stopped working. I have bled my brakes again but still nothing. I'm kinda a "brake noob" you could say. Any solutions? Could it be the brake switch I installed? Thanks, Nate

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh I thought you were saying the light didn't work.

Are you getting good fluid flow when you bleed them?

If you are, try stomping the brake lever to see if you get stopping power then. If the master cylinder is bypassing it wont work with slow application but when you push it fast the cup will swell out and seal better.

Does the lever have any feel?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I re bled the brakes again. Took off master cylinder and rotated it in different positions and pumped breaks. Still nothing. It's like they aren't pumping at all.

I installed some steel braided lines on my old 12 wr450f and somehow lost pressure as well. Bled and bled with some problems, I ended up taking off the new banjo that came with the kit and put back on the oem banjo bolt and I had my pressure back after bleeding again. Your banjo is probably the switch now so have you tried reverse bleeding at all? Pushing fluid in from the caliper through the line into the master cylinder?

·
Premium Member
6,599 Posts
no pressure means air in the system. even if you tried bleeding it over and over again and still can't get pressure 99% of the time there's still air trapped somewhere.

I went through the same thing on one of my own bikes. spent 3 hours bleeding to no avail, even down to the point where I rebuilt the master cylinder thinking that was the issue and still I could not get pressure...

in the end I found a big air pocket trapped around the banjo coupling on the brake caliper which prevented pressure from building up, it was still there even after trying just about every trick in the book. I got it out of the system by pushing down on the brake lever, loosening the banjo bolt just enough so fluid could leak out. I heard the hissing of air and then fluid came out, tightened down the banjo again and immediately had pressure at the lever after that.

try doing that and see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help. I finally took off the switch and reinstalled then bled again. Brakes work now except something in the caliper is scraping my rotor. I think the small metal piece right below the brake pads is causing it. Gonna get a new one and hope everything gets fixed it was pretty bent up somehow.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Here is a pic of banjo bolt switch. Also the piece that I believe is the problem. The brake pad spring is pretty beat up. I ordered a new one so should get it all fixed soon

I had that metal clip bend on me too, was driving me crazy because I could hear it dragging. Tried bending it back multiple times and finally got it to sit in correctly to stop grinding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.