SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys thanks for reading this and any input would be nice.

so first off id like to say that ive never owned a street legal bike before. i do however race a cr250 mx bike at the mx track. so like i said i am completely new to the street legs bikes and i pretty much know nothing. so what my question is is i wanna get a supermoto bike and i either want it to be a yamaha honda or ktm. now i do want the bike to have fun on and do some wheelies and some stunts, but i also need the bike to go to work, and anywhere else i need to go. i may also wanna go on some longer trips with friends or family like few hour drives, and im going out on a limb here, but i have a lot of family up north about a 20 hour drive, and i had a friend who used to make the trip on his bike, but i cant remember what type of bike he had. so what i want to know is can a supermoto withstand all of the above and last me a long time, because this will be my only vehicle. and also can anyone tell me what the total cost of one would be? and also which one would do what i need the best out of the ktm yammy or honda? thanks!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Your only vehicle? Buy a car. I know that's not what you wanna hear but that's what's realistic. You seem sort of young, and having a bike only will get old. Get a car first and a bike second.

Why are you set on Honda ktm or Yamaha only? The drz is probably what you'd want if you're gonna be making 20 hour trips.
Xr650 if it has to be one of those three. I'm assuming that 20 hour trip is all freeway though, that's gets boring on a tard after about 42 seconds. And if there's a fun twisty route, its gonna take a lot longer than 20 hours. Your friend that did the trip on his bike probably wasn't riding a supermoto. And if it was I would like to commend him on his buns of steel. Because a motard will make your ass hurt after just an hour or 2......

Anyways, I'm drunk. Go by an 89 accord. That's a nice reliable car and it can be had dirt cheap. You can pick up your girlfriend on a rainy day with it. And it can last 300k+ milesif maintained properly. Fuck probably even if you don't lol. They also have heater, which girls tend to like on cold nights. I doubt any chick you pick up is going to want to bundle up in winter riding gear for a night out of dinner and a movie.... And the helmet will mess up her hair she spent 45 minutes doing just to impress you.

Basically what I'm saying is, when you're in homeschool, which I think you probably are, it's all about the chicks mannn. Lol. Buy a car lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your only vehicle? Buy a car. I know that's not what you wanna hear but that's what's realistic. You seem sort of young, and having a bike only will get old. Get a car first and a bike second.

Why are you set on Honda ktm or Yamaha only? The drz is probably what you'd want if you're gonna be making 20 hour trips.
Xr650 if it has to be one of those three. I'm assuming that 20 hour trip is all freeway though, that's gets boring on a tard after about 42 seconds. And if there's a fun twisty route, its gonna take a lot longer than 20 hours. Your friend that did the trip on his bike probably wasn't riding a supermoto. And if it was I would like to commend him on his buns of steel. Because a motard will make your ass hurt after just an hour or 2......

Anyways, I'm drunk. Go by an 89 accord. That's a nice reliable car and it can be had dirt cheap. You can pick up your girlfriend on a rainy day with it. And it can last 300k+ milesif maintained properly. Fuck probably even if you don't lol. They also have heater, which girls tend to like on cold nights. I doubt any chick you pick up is going to want to bundle up in winter riding gear for a night out of dinner and a movie.... And the helmet will mess up her hair she spent 45 minutes doing just to impress you.

Basically what I'm saying is, when you're in homeschool, which I think you probably are, it's all about the chicks mannn. Lol. Buy a car lol.
Lol well I get what your sayin and no im not in homeschool haha but yeah I do have a car when I said my only vehicle I meant that id probly use this a hell of a lot more then my 91 subaru lol and I forgot to include the drz I think of I get one ill go with the drz 450, but now that you mention, can a supermoto even carry a passenger? And is it comfortable? When you say it hurts your ass after awhile I think that's personal preference cause when I go out to the track on my 250 I ride fore the whole day hitting jumps and ridin burms and my ass never feels a thing and i dont think there that fifferent. But can dzr 400 keep up with say a 450 or 525 and will it sustain highway speeds for long periods of time without winding out?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Lol homeschool. I meant highschool haha. The drz is a 400 and no it's not even close to a 450 mx bike in comparison... But comparing CC's without comparing the rider between bikes doesn't say much. I've smoked cbr1000 riders on my stock drz. And I've been smoked by a guy on ninja 250. When you're in the twisties displacement doesn't seem to matter as much as rider skill. sure, a bike with a little more nuts may let you catch up a little in the straight bits, but the faster guy will be gone again in 2 corners. But the drz does do highway well enough. And Pretty sure any bike that comes from the factory street legal has passenger pegs. I've never used mine though so I can't comment on how comfortable carrying a passenger is. I've heard it sucks.

Like you, I come from a motocross background. In mx we stand up a lot. And we generally don't ride for more than 20 minutes at a time before we head back to the truck for a water break, sandwich break, bathroom break, handjob break or whatever. Point is, even though you're at the track all day you're not reeeally riding all day. When you're on the road your booty and the seat are pretty much conjoined twins for the majority of your ride... You can stand up and stretch out and what not, but there is a significant more amount of ass-to-seat time on all day street ride compared to being at the mx track all day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol homeschool. I meant highschool haha. The drz is a 400 and no it's not even close to a 450 mx bike in comparison... But comparing CC's without comparing the rider between bikes doesn't say much. I've smoked cbr1000 riders on my stock drz. And I've been smoked by a guy on ninja 250. When you're in the twisties displacement doesn't seem to matter as much as rider skill. sure, a bike with a little more nuts may let you catch up a little in the straight bits, but the faster guy will be gone again in 2 corners. But the drz does do highway well enough. And Pretty sure any bike that comes from the factory street legal has passenger pegs. I've never used mine though so I can't comment on how comfortable carrying a passenger is. I've heard it sucks.

Like you, I come from a motocross background. In mx we stand up a lot. And we generally don't ride for more than 20 minutes at a time before we head back to the truck for a water break, sandwich break, bathroom break, handjob break or whatever. Point is, even though you're at the track all day you're not reeeally riding all day. When you're on the road your booty and the seat are pretty much conjoined twins for the majority of your ride... You can stand up and stretch out and what not, but there is a significant more amount of ass-to-seat time on all day street ride compared to being at the mx track all day.
okay thanks for all the help, I think when and if I get one ill go with the drz400. Just one problem is I've had a hard time finding one for sale, none on eBay, I few on ctaigslist but theyre asking to much. im gonna check this site because i think theres a section for sales? Lol like i said im new signed up yesterday. So thanks again!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I also wouldnt limit your only option to what a drunk guy on the internet told you to get haha.

I did a lot of my own research before I figured out what was the right bike for me. Yamaha 250x is a great beginners supermoto. I was down to either that or the drz when I bought. Couldn't find any around though so I ended up with the drz pretty easy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also wouldnt limit your only option to what a drunk guy on the internet told you to get haha.

I did a lot of my own research before I figured out what was the right bike for me. Yamaha 250x is a great beginners supermoto. I was down to either that or the drz when I bought. Couldn't find any around though so I ended up with the drz pretty easy.
Yeah I think I'm gonna go with the drz, I wouldnt say I'm a beginner because as i am new to street legal bikes I've been ridin two wheels forever and I've ridden friends bikes on the street a little just never owned

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I meant beginner as in first supermoto, not a total bike noob. I'm sure you'll be happy with what ever you end up on though.
I'm goin with the dzr400 but the only thing I don't like well actually I hate is the headlights on all enduro bikes and how the tail lights stick out so far on the sides and the blinkers. Is there a kit for a more sport bike tail light and blinkers?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts