SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get this off my chest and I know everyone here understands...

I just bought my first bike 2010 klx250sf, picking it up saturday and almost everyone around me that I tell is treating me like a fucking leper, like the second I get on the road with another car, the car is going to crush me and I'll be dead. It's so goddamn aggravating that I'm perusing something that I enjoy and they're all taking a big steamy shit on it. What about the countless amount of people that ride and have been riding for years, they're not dead and they put in thousands of miles. So frustrating not being supported and being looked down upon like I made a horrible decision for a hobby. I'm fully away of my skill and experience level and intend to ride extremely sane and safe to gain experience and my choice in bike's reflects that. :damn:

·
Registered
30 Posts
same thing happend to me dude. I know I'm taking a chance, but dang, let me enjoy the moment. Kind of the same thing...I have only ridden streets for about 4 months now so I asked my wife this morning if it would be alright to ride the sumo to work on Friday since it should be light traffic. Her response, "why, so you can die going to work?" WTH?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I faced a lot of this type of talk from my family when I started riding a few years ago (was in my mid twenties), and it has greatly subsided. Tough it out, let them know how much you really enjoy it and they will likely let up. My wife used to be the worst of all of them (rightly so) and now she gives me crap when I don't ride to work on a nice day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
exactly. how about not fucking with my confidence, putting me in a shitty mood, and distracting me right before riding. i don't even have the goddamn bike yet.

You bet your ass i'm going to tough it out. I'm an adult (the bike is my 30th birthday present to myself), I made this choice after a long time considering it, I don't have anyone that relies on me to support them. I'm doing what I want to do.

same thing happend to me dude. I know I'm taking a chance, but dang, let me enjoy the moment. Kind of the same thing...I have only ridden streets for about 4 months now so I asked my wife this morning if it would be alright to ride the sumo to work on Friday since it should be light traffic. Her response, "why, so you can die going to work?" WTH?

·
Registered
637 Posts
My mom was like that when I told her I was going to get a bike. Told me if I bought one she'd write me out of her will. Well, I bought one, and my brother bought one the same day!

Five and a half years later, she doesn't bother me about it anymore. Hell, she's talked about getting a scooter.

My wife doesn't say shit about pretty much anything I do because she knows I don't have a death wish but like to have fun, and I wouldn't put up with that shit anyway.

Basically, give it time. The longer you ride, the more they'll get that riding does not necessarily equal dieing. Especially if you're not a dumbass, and given that you're starting with a KLX250 instead of some 600RR or worse, I'm guessin' you're not a dumbass.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I was lucky that my father was a motorcycle cop when I was a kid, so I started riding when I was nine. It will be 50 years that I've been riding motorcycles this summer and I'm still alive. People still tell me I'm crazy to ride, but I tell them “everybody dies, but not everybody lives". Be safe and you can have a life time of fun on two wheels. Below is a photo of a fifty-nine year old rider and a link of a KTM rider following me up Mount Tam.

·
Registered
628 Posts
don't worry about it... you know the saying:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You have to ask your wife to ride your motorcycle?...

*Cracks whip

:anim_peep:

·
Registered
408 Posts
sounds like you need a new wife :lol:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
You have to ask your wife to ride your motorcycle?...

*Cracks whip

:anim_peep:
I saw that too, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed they carpool... Please tell me I'm right...:rolleyes:

I was thinking about the whole people assuming "anyone who rides a motorcycle has a death wish" thing and I just attribute it to the prevalent soccer mom mentality that if anyone has ever died doing anything then everyone who does it will get killed.

I know this all too well, I get it for pretty much all my hobbies (rock climbing, backcountry skiing, and motocross). Come to think of it, riding a bike on the street is probably one of my safer hobbies...

·
Registered
549 Posts
I got shot down by my mom and wife for years. Left my wife and told mom to go lay down. A year later its my biggest hobby and i wish i got into this ten years ago. Girls cook and clean and have babbies. Men ride their bikes. You wont die just ride smart. Every driver wants to kill you. Especially at night. Ride with that in mind and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
641 Posts
:Funny:

Not all girls only cook, clean and have babies! My parents were devastated when I started riding. It wasn't fun having to deal with a sobbing mother over the phone on a weekly basis. My dad thinks that a woman has no place on a motorcycle.:headshake: My sister doesn't approve of motorcycles either.

It has been six years since I started riding and they only just "tolerate" the idea anymore. The only person who seems to support this lifestyle is my husband. He rides with me so no nagging wife/husband crap in our house.

Good on you for doing something interesting with your life. It seems too many people live their life anymore through their iphone or tv.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
It seems too many people live their life anymore through their iphone or tv.
^^This. I didn't ride anything at all for about 8 or 9 years, and a long hiatus from street riding after losing a few friends. It took a friend and co-worker to convince me that sitting on the couch, while safe, is pretty damn boring in the long run. You may live to be 100, but you didn't really live now did you? As stated above, we all die, but very few actually live.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
First of all, you're starting on a small, low-powered yet still cool bike so they can't bitch as if you went out and bought a gsxr1K. Second, this is what people in the US do. We called the French cheeze-eating surrender monkeys but seriously, the surrender monkeys for living a memorable life are born and bread right here in the USA. I too am sick of the panty waist naysayers in this country who get upset if you're doing anything other than sitting on the couch zombified in front of the idiot box.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't forget to get some good gear as well.I think that was a big factor in easing my wife's and family members minds when I started riding.

·
Registered
48 Posts
OK my dad and I were talking about this kind of thing the other day. here was his idea:

He was talking to a woman about something unrelated, but when she found out that he rode a motorcycle she said the classic "I knew someone who was riding a motorcycle and crashed and died instantly blah blah blah". He held himself back, but in his mind he was thinking "I knew a fat person and one day they were just sitting there eating a cheese burger, minding their own business, and they had a fucking heart attack and died just like that."

I guess the idea is if you can find some obvious flaw in the other person, turn it on them and show them how rude it is to say things like that.:rofl:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I hate when I hear stuff like this.

I crashed pretty good when I was younger in my racing days...my buddy t-boned me.

I have two plates and 14 screws in my right arm...from the time I entered the hospital to the time I finished physical therapy I got everything from..See ya again/are you still going to ride those things/people need to realize how dangerous they are/your lucky you didnt get killed.

It makes me so incredibly angry when people down what we do. Its my passion, as well as my families passion. I have friends that were hurt more than I was from playing team sports through highschool. I still go back to the old saying, If you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all. It is so true.

Im glad you got a motorcycle there is nothing better in the world in my eyes than being on a bike. :thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh I'm definitely all geared up. Road rash doesnt seem very appealing. Something thats always in the back of my mind, Ride like you're invisible and everyone is drunk.

My main reason I decided to start riding was/is that I'm turning 30 this year and that made me start to realize my own mortality. I had a small dirt bike I messed around with when I was a kid so I got a taste of riding early on. Then during my invincible years, late teens to mid 20's, I screwed around with cars and had plenty of lapses of judgement and luckily nothing bad happened other then a ticket or two. Now that I've gotten that out of my system, I feel like now is the perfect time for me to start riding. I said screw it, I'm going to do it before it get's too late in life and I regret it. Get busy livin or get busy dyin. (And yes, I do realize that 30 is still very young in the grand scheme)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts