SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drz has undergone many revamps, I think it is starting to get to where I like it. I think I have removed close to 40 pounds of crap. Would like to replace to tank and seat with something lower and more street. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
i would start taking motorcross tanks and holding them upto the frame until you found the shape you wanted.. then go from there. for the full effect you may endup having to weld new tank mounts, a custom subframe, etc.. but it would be a very cool bike.
maybe even make the subframe out of aluminum...

the color and some small details arnt my style.. but overall nice job on making it lighter and naked looking...

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
get a peanut tank, maybe from Sportster or other vintage tanks and make a custom seat...

maybe a low exhaust?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The exaust is a reg yosh system that I cut down. It is loud but not so loud that I cant get away with it on the street

Has anyone tried to adapt a motocross tank and seat to their drz I would like to get rid of that mountain top look that the stocker has.

·
Registered
300 Posts
did you notice a diff in power with the cut pipe. i hate how my pipe sticks out to the fender~!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I think that at least one of the big tank co's (IMS, Clarke, Acerbis) offers a smaller than stock capacity tank for the DRZ, it lowers the front of the seat too.

·
Registered
316 Posts
jaya: I'm not extremely fond of the look, but kudos none the less on making the bike your own, making it individual and what you want. It's damned impressive if nothing else.

I think a good way to clean it up would be re-rout the exhaust, try and do a undertail (for whats left OF the 'tail') type setup. That would clean the look of the bike up massively.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your comments. The mid pipe is the yosh but I was able to twist it a bit to tuck the pipe in. I havnt noticed any thing dif about the power, although it is a bit louder. I was thinking of doing the undertail thing with the pipe, but I think I like it better exposed. I would like to eliminate the air box to really strip down the look , but I have heard that the power losses can be significant. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
183 Posts
That bike is sick man!! Straight up sumo street fighter. NICE!! I will have to drink some beers and stare down my bike and decide if I want to cut it up as well. Drunken decisions are the best decisions

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks Gapp'r
Mine was a buzzed decision. The stripped look is what I am going for, love smoto just dont care for the dirt look. I am thinking about hiding the exaust, either under tail or some side exit ala newer sport bikes. The lighter it gets the more fun it is. Although I must say like most here at the forum I lust for more HP Like about 50 would make it a monster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts